Getting this board started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Blank board, thought I'd post.

Great day of diving yesterday. 6 hours split between Ginnie, Peacock, and Little River.

Hello,

Tho I don't endorse cave diving; I am curious as to why you cave dive?

Ed

Cave diving is challenging in and of itself. It is *great* training, requiring strict mental discipline, extensive planning, excellent buoyancy control, teamwork, cool thinking under pressure... the list goes on.
And then there are those fascinating cave critters! Why, the last time I was in Peacock, a cave shrimp swam by on one of the dives.
Seriously, I do it because I like it. I like it because when I'm caving, from the planning, the equipment rigging, the actual dive, the post dive debrief I can be completely absorbed in the project. No worries about what the market did today, no whining customers, no excuses from suppliers to worry about, no taxes to pay, no phone calls to take or make, etc...
Rick

I frequently ask myself that. Usually while I am lugging gear thru a muddy path in a mosquito infested jungle. Sometimes as I am stowing gear that cost more than my parents first house did. Is it really worth the time and money required? Probably not. But it makes me feel special. When you get an hour or more back into a tunnel you realize only a handful of people have ever been here before in the entire history of the planet. It's rather overwhelming. And I am in a position where that feeling is worth the investment to me.

And as Rick says, it requires using more of one's mental & physical capacity than almost anything else I do. Sort of an excuse to do one's best and find out what you are capable of.

And to start and oxygen clean chicken-&-egg cycle, the main reason I cave now is too keep techniques in practice so I can continue caving. Hmmmmmm. Now my head hurts.

So now, blacknet, why don't you "endorse" cave diving? By trained, skilled persons on a well planned dive using previously demenstated safety precautions, that is?

Hello,

Simply cause way too many people have bad attitudes about it and way too many people die inside of caves. Have witnessed both first hands. When instructors are ranked #2 for deaths per skill level there is a problem.

Personally I will never *EVER* venture into a cave on land or underwater. Reason for this is at a very early age I was locked in a very confined space by some bully's and developed a phobia of confined spaces. Also I had some very nasty reoccurring nightmares about caves before this episode. That's just 2 very good reasons to stay out :)

Ed

Some people call scuba divers insane. Some scuba divers call technical divers insane. Some technical divers call the extreme cavers insane. It's all relative. One of these days, I'm going to do some cave diving (ain't any caves nearby). Until then, I'll stick with my wreck exploration.

Take care.

Mike

I'm really turned on by wreck diving but I'd like to take a cave course to learn the tools and techniques to round out my diving skills

I have met too many "cowboys" among cave divers. They just plain scare the scat out of me. While I would like to go through the training for cavern (and possibly cave) I do not want to become lured by going deeper/farther. However, I understand that the lures can be great, and I would never foist my own phobias on anyone else. Learn from you and steal some of your ideas, oh yes! But I still have to go with my "gut feeling" that you guys are looney to the core... but hey, thats what the non-divers say about me and my passion for open water diving. They can't understand me, just like I have a hard time understanding cavers... go figure!

I took my cavern course over the summer and recently a full technical cave course. I started it to learn penetration techniques for wreck diving in the Great Lakes. The caves in Florida provide a great teaching environment for this sort of thing. The caves themselves though are wonderful diving. The warm (72F) water and visibility are great and it is very peaceful. Ed, those instructor deaths you mentioned are mainly open water instructors with big egos and no cave training. I have much less fear cave diving than I would riding in a hot air balloon or sky diving. Personal preference.

Hi.
On our last trip to Grand Bahama I had the opportunity to do a cavern dive. We also did some swim through coral caves. I love it.
There are no caves or caverns near where I live, there are a lot of wrecks in the Great Lakes though.

Can the same enjoyment/ fascination/ awesomeness, be found in wreck penetration? I'd like to hear from those of you who have done both.

I've only done one wreck penetration.visible exits and big enough for 4 people to swim side by side holding hands. Neat but not the same feeling as the caves and cavern, I can't judge by this one.

Before I get flamed. All of these dives were done with Instructors, and I have no Intention of pursuing any form of cave, or cavern diving, or wreck penetration without proper training and equipment.

Thanks in advance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom