What are YOUR most pressing Health/Wellness/Fitness Concerns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

X Scuba Bee X

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Folks!
I'm trying to find out what most plagues divers in regards to their health and well being.

What would you love to learn more about?
What kind of health issues burden you?
What do you wish you could fix/change/improve?

This can be anything. Specifically dive related or not. High blood pressure, anxiety issues, body weight issues, sea sickness, cramps, etc etc. Anything!

I'm working on a series of free articles, videos and training opportunities and I'd love to know what interests you all most!

If you prefer not to answer publicly, message me!!

Not specific to diving but I have 2 relatively common issues: herniated/bulging discs in my back, and migraine/tension headaches.

I've got a pretty good handle on the herniated discs - strength training (in the form of heavy weightlifting) has gotten my spinal erectors and core much stronger, and capable of bearing more load, reducing pressure on my lumbar discs.

I'd love to learn more about my headaches. I used to literally go blind from the pain sometimes. I've gotten to the point where I can typically kill a migraine with excedrin and massaging my trapezius muscles, which always seem to be knotted and ropy. I've read that trigger points in the traps are super common headache causes, but why that pain shows up behind my eyes instead of actually in my shoulders will probably forever be a mystery to me.

Old back and neck. Deteriorating vertebrae and discs. My whole right leg and lower back were screwed up big time last summer and again last winter from compressed nerves. Left side of my neck and left shoulder is sore most of the time from the same thing.
Sucks to get old.
Have been able to dive all summer this year, keeping my fingers crossed.

... I could stand to drop some weight ... and some years ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had back surgery yesterday for spinal stenosis. The stenosis was causing extreme pain in the right buttocks down to my big toe. It started about two years ago. I was in Cozumel diving last week and the stenosis didn't bother me while diving, but it did after getting out of the water, walking up three sets of steps with wet gear, and walking to town and back to The Blue Angel everyday. I'm happy to say I'm not having any pain in my hip, butt, or leg! The only thing that hurts now is where the incision is. But that'll go away in a few days. Wow, does it ever feel good not to be in constant pain! So to answer your question.....spinal stenosis was my biggest health issue that was able to be fixed. Yipppeeee!!! However, no diving for 6 weeks.

Getting old.
Oh yeah, and the fact that I'm going to need a hip replacement at some point in the not so distant future.
Other than that not any complaints.

Barotraumatic osteonecrosis.

It will happen inevitably, but the day I'm too old to dive.......But I've had a good 'run' so I'll have great memories !!!.....

I am starting to see a common theme here!
I'll look into everyones injury/surgery/ etc but I'm seeing aging as the biggest concern here.

Would y'all be interested in learning more about healthy aging and resisting disease/degeneration as you rack up more birthdays?

As for dropping a few years, I haven't figured out that quantum secrets to that one yet, but I sure can slow them way down. If you figure it out, lemme know!!

Back
Top Bottom