Questionnaire about Artificial reefs for master's dissertation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
[h=2]Hi guys,

I need your help! I am currently working on my dissertation (for my master's degree) about the dive experience on artificial reefs.
I have devised a questionnaire that takes less than 5 minutes to fill out, so if you guys would help me out I would appreciated it very much.

A prerequisite however is that you MUST have dived on an artificial reefs before (be it a shipwreck, other type of vessel, underwater 'park', reef balls, other concrete structures etc.).

The link to the survey is below:
https://www.esurveycreator.com/s/6a557ba

If anybody has any questions regarding the research or other, please feel free to contact me.

Hope that some of you would have the time to help me and have a great weekend!

Best wishes,
Sophie[/h]

Done. Your questionnaire was interesting. At 1st I was concerned about the idea of lumping all 'artificial reefs' together, since the issues that go into obtaining, environmentally preparing, transporting and sinking a large ship like the Spiegel Grove or Oriskany can be enormous, and I would expect more onerous than sinking some man made framework to give corals something to base off of in shallower water, perhaps. But I thought your questionnaire was a bit thought provoking.

Richard.

I also completed the questionnaire. Please note that there are more artificial reefs than just in the tropics (Edmonds Underwater Park is the one I know about).

SeaRat

Thank you for helping out, I really appreciate it.
John, of course I know there are ARs in other regions as well. I hope this research will help in clarifying the aspects that divers deem important when it comes to AR, and location is not necessarily that important, which is great.

Thank you guys again!

As John just indicated, the majority of artificial reefs I have dived are in cold water. I built a small rock reef at my local dive site about a year and a half ago. Happy to say the locals barely waited till it was done to start moving in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wonder how big dive tourism to colder water diving is? There is some. It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare, though how you compare could be difficult. For example, do we compare numbers from Bonaire to just southern California or all of California? If we compare dive tourism numbers between the two, do we factor in that coastal California will have a lot of residential divers who technically aren't tourists? And do we stack that against 'the Great Lakes,' or the most dove Great Lake? But that gets into the issue that freshwater habitats generally don't offer lush coral growth and the species diversity of the ocean reefs. Can you realistically compare diving the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire, with tarpon and barracuda, or the Spiegel Grove out of Key Largo, to a big wreck in a Great Lake?

I point this out since part of the survey seems geared to accessing the tourist 'drawing power' of artificial reef structures, and how different types compare (e.g.: ship wreck vs. a cluster of statues). I would think the drawing power for local residents would be comparably valuable.

Richard.

I wonder how big dive tourism to colder water diving is? There is some. It would be interesting to see how the numbers compare, though how you compare could be difficult. For example, do we compare numbers from Bonaire to just southern California or all of California? If we compare dive tourism numbers between the two, do we factor in that coastal California will have a lot of residential divers who technically aren't tourists? And do we stack that against 'the Great Lakes,' or the most dove Great Lake? But that gets into the issue that freshwater habitats generally don't offer lush coral growth and the species diversity of the ocean reefs. Can you realistically compare diving the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire, with tarpon and barracuda, or the Spiegel Grove out of Key Largo, to a big wreck in a Great Lake?

I point this out since part of the survey seems geared to accessing the tourist 'drawing power' of artificial reef structures, and how different types compare (e.g.: ship wreck vs. a cluster of statues). I would think the drawing power for local residents would be comparably valuable.

Richard.

I think it depends on the destination. I daresay you'll get more "tourism" on the California wrecks than you will similar ones in British Columbia ... and hardly none in the aforementioned Edmonds Underwater Park, which serves primarily the local dive community. That doesn't in any way detract from the value of these reefs as habitat for marine life, or even the overall health of the local waters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom