Lionfish Hunting/Program Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantwiscour

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're headed to Roatan this September for ten days.

I've seen the info on the RMP site about the lionfish program and found some other info here and there. It looks like just takes an hour or so to complete the program.

Is the workshop/license something that can be scheduled easily enough? Is this frowned on for non-locals?

Any info is appreciated. We'd like to be able to stick 'em if we see 'em.

It does take just about an hour, which consists of the instructor first going over what lionfish are, the damage they are causing to our reef, and the possible hazards of spearing them (treatment, etc.). Then you'll head to the shallow bay right out front and watch a demonstration of how to spear them while maintaining good buoyancy - then you'll do it yourself.

I do believe they have a minimum number of participants for the class to take place. Four or five, I think. I'd check with them soon after you arrive.

At my shop, we have many customer divers who take the class or are already licensed to hunt and they bring spears and containment units on dives with them. I've never seen it frowned upon that non-locals help save our reef.

Something else about the licensing, Grant, is it costs $50 and you get a small pole spear also. I recommend getting a 4 ft spear and a 6 pt tip from them if they have them, for another $45, or so. The lionfish here are very wary of humans for the most part and a 4 ft spear keeps your body far enough away that they don't spook nearly as easy versus using a 2 ft spear. Well worth the extra cash.

The money goes to the upkeep of the Marine Park, dive site buoys, and other good stuff so all of it is money well spent.

Also, I'm from Dallas too; Plano area. Let me know when you're on the island and have your license. I'll show you a few shore diving places you can hunt from if you're up for something like that and show you what I mean about these lionfish.

Thanks Kelly. Great Info. We'll be down mid-September. Staying near Sandy Bay Point at Hobbies.
I'll give you a shout as we get closer. We'd love to take you up on some shore dive hunts.

I did the RMP Lion Fish Class a few months ago. If you REALLY want to do the class and get licensed, if I were you, I would make contact with Nick at the Marine Park via email and try to get signed up for the class ahead of time. It took me the better part of two weeks to work out schedules and attend a class this past winter. With that said, the RMP does a great job of running the Lion Fish program on the island. I wish I could say the same for other Marine Parks in other parts of the Caribbean.

Joe - -

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on scheduling Joe. I'll work on it prior to our trip...probably start this week trying to track him down.

We're headed to Roatan this September for ten days.

I've seen the info on the RMP site about the lionfish program and found some other info here and there. It looks like just takes an hour or so to complete the program.

Is the workshop/license something that can be scheduled easily enough? Is this frowned on for non-locals?

Any info is appreciated. We'd like to be able to stick 'em if we see 'em.

lionfish weren't hunted on Roatan until a little over 2 years ago. now everyone is on the hunt for this invasive species. most of the local fisherman have gotten on board and are spearing them when they can. we have a small restaurant over the water in Camp Bay, on the east end of the island. we started serving this delicious fish about 2 1/2 years ago and its been a hit. now its hard to keep up with the demand. early this week one of the comercial fishing boats came in with 500lbs of filet. the RMP has made the tourist pay $50 to get a license, which includes the class and a hawian sling. in actuality the locals don't spend the $50 since thats more than they can afford and they've been spear fishing for there whole life without having get a license/permit. in Florida they are encouraging the lionfish hunt as well with no permit required. if you have your own sling and know what you are doing, just go out and spear them, the Roatan Marine Park only patrols on the west end of the island. on our end, the east, there are still plenty below 60ft. the locals only free dive to about that depth. good luck and bring your catch to our little palapa. we'll cook them up, fry them and make a great ceviche out of them as well.
Jimmy, La Sirena restaurant in Camp Bay

How bad is the lionfish problem on Roatan? A friend who was there in July said they were all over. I may be there for just a couple days at the end of the month; I'm really getting sick of going to islands and being unable to terminate the varmints.

I checked with Coco View and they said they do not allow lionfish hunting. Wish I could while I'm there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom