Roatan vs (San Andres+) Providencia - End of year? (1st week of Jan 2014)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubawankenobi

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
So desperately looking for some advice/recommendations - as my spouse is coming home tonight and expecting us to book tickets to visit inlaws for New Year's celebrating.

In laws are in Colombia, so 1wk with them and then 1wk somewhere for scuba diving.

Options exploring/eliminating:
In/around Colombia vs Roatan
I shot down the idea of "land based" scuba from Colombia (i.e. Cartegena or Pacific side(cooler this time of yr)?) ... and was focusing instead of either San Andres (most probably 2days San Andres, rest or entirely on nearby/ferry-ride-to Providencia).
Spouse suggested Curacao - (checking off ABCs) but we've dived Aruba last year, just got back from Bonaire, so thought Curacao wouldn't offer much "different" than what we had recently.

Re: Roatan vs Providencia
Roatan has been on my "Caribbean list" for years. I've also read that Providencia is really good diving - vs San Andres being over-fished (and populated).
San Andres / Providencia is fairly easy (flights) from Colombia, where we'll be leaving from.

Anyone dived either/both Providencia/Roatan that has any thoughts about this.

(again) Time of year:
Either just before Christmas, or more likely just after New Year's (Jan 2/3)

Location(s) currently exploring:
Roatan - looking at saving money by staying at all-inclusive ( Fantasy Island resort, right across/next to Cocoview ), or possibly Cocoview. So that would be about "mid island" and southern side. Most likely a lot of boat dives and house reef (day & night).
Providencia - don't know where we'd stay. Sister-in-law has been there & recommends it. Don't know how this diving would compare to Roatan.

Lodging:
Open to (& welcome!) recommendations on lodging/location.

Any thoughts/recommendations?
[ promise a detail trip report & photos/video to give something back for some much appreciated advice :D]

Happy bubbling,
Doug
P.S. Scubaboard rocks! :)
Just noticed title says Jan 2014, meant 1st week of Jan 2015 (or possibly Christmas 2014)...deciding next day or two between Roatan and Providencia.

Last edited:
In that Caribbean time frame, the further South you get, the better.

In that weather criteria, just by sheer mileage, San Andres is the winner, especially as it is tucked around and behind the weather by the Cape of Honduras.

In view of making your travel transition from Columbia, you are by now more expert than I am. Any time I have come from the US, getting to San Andres has been a hurdle, but even as travel to Roatan has become easier, so has the trek to San Andres... comparatively. Starting in BC as you do, you already know that "nothing is easy" in terms of getting to the tropics.

In terms of diving, I give that advantage to Roatan. When I go to dive, that's what I want to do. Roatan, at least the choices you made there, offer that.

If you do pick Roatan, I also focus on the South side, as you are. If there is any heavy weather, which is likely, you are on the storm lee, the protected side, so diving will continue.

FIBR has had ten+ "down" years and continues to get marginal and excusitory, less than glowing reviews. The dive staff rescues the rest of the place, the DMs far excel while the actual FI resort is consistently inconsistent in any semblance of quality. It is amazing what these DMs pull off with their rickety dive operation and choking budget. The resort managers try to be everything to everybody, doing nothing very well. A waste of geography because it shares a zone of diving with CCV that I rank the most interesting in the Caribbean. This is unlikely to change or improve any time soon, hidden agendas in accounting maneuvers make this model very workable for their corporate needs. There are always reservation openings, except during Semana Santa (Easter) when the place is packed with Central American "high rollers", friends of ownership.

The other place you mention, CCV, never falters and always gets very positive acclaim. I go there and do 27 dives in a week with no problem for my aching bones. It is, with no excuses, a dive resort. I repeat visits to very few destinations, I have been to CCV maybe 35 times logging approx 1800 dives over multiple weeks. Still seeing something new every time. Booked pretty full, but in that post New Years week, do not be dissuaded by a waiting list. Reservations often drop away.

If you want to dive your brains out, the clear choice (is a liveaboard, or) in the Caribbean, it's CCV. If you want a truly laid-back sleep in the hammock, dive 10x in a week (if you really push hard, it will be a hump), it's San Andres.

If you're looking for a San Andres atmosphere and similar product on Roatan, the South side also has Reef House Resort (RHR) which has many posts searchable here on SB.

[ promise a detail trip report & photos/video to give something back for some much appreciated advice :D]

That is the point of any message board and for that, you are my hero.

Wow - thanks Doc!

Very useful and informative details.

As far as diving schedule:
I try to get in 4-5 dives per day (5th being a night dive or last "blow off bubbles from shore/house reef")
Spouse - different story, more like 1-2 a day tops, skip a few days & read a book on beach/sleep-in/hike around.
Mentioning this as my preference is liveaboard, which we've done several times over years, but that's becoming more rare (w/spousal dive sched) so I'm saving liveaboard for Galapagos and a couple of South Pacific trips planned down-the-road.

So it sounds like I can reliably get my more packed diving days in in Roatan. I did notice some Providencia links (including Tad's here on SB) which indicated you can arrange 4-5 dives a day (2x "doubles" - morn/afternoon), +night).

Re: Providencia vs San Andres
From reading threads here on SB, and elsewhere, I get the impression that Providencia is quite a bit better than San Andres.
Did you dive San Andres and Providencia?
If so, wondering what your thoughts were about Providencia (Old Providence?) vs San Andres vs Roatan.
We're kind'a leaning towards Providencia now, particularly as we're launching from Colombia after visiting inlaws.
[ Side note: for certain will dive Roatan, probably next trip/later next year...unless someone who's dived both Providencia and Roatan tells me Providencia is much less quality(critters/life/health of reef/etc) than say Roatan ]

Re: FIBR vs CCV
Thanks for those comments/thoughts as well. Your observations coincide with what I've read elsewhere. I hate to sound like a cheapskate but was mostly considering FIBR due to being an all-inclusive, and for use we've had good luck with most all-incl. Also, it does seem like good location (can basically swim to CCV/same reef).
However, now I'm thinking CCV might be our best bet & then budget bit more for dining/drinks. :)

Re: Diving Providencia and San Andres?
Our other option, was considering in case weather (ferry ride from San Andres I've read can be cancelled due to weather or conflict with flight leaving San Andres), is to spend like 8days (7nights), perhaps 4x(-5x?) on Providencia and then 2-3 on San Andres before we fly home. So dive both. Just wasn't sure that the diving would be worth it on San Andres compared to Providencia. Also, I kind'a like getting "settled in" with a dive operator & just hammering out my week of dives vs shifting locations.
Any "must dives" on San Andres if we dived there a day or two?

Again - really appreciate the great information and feedback!
If you/anyone else has any more thoughts about Providencia specifically (vs San Andres), be great to hear more.

[ BTW - on the "contributing"/giving back...I'm gonna start hunting forums in dive locations I know extremely well, southern Vancouver Island and much of California, as well as other types of forums related to diving, to try to contribute more/share knowledge... Scubaboard is an amazing resource & community! ]

Guanaja. Beautiful reefs and coral, waaaaaay less people and not really much more difficult to get to than Roatan, or Utila--which I'd choose over Roatan. All my opinions, of course, but I only go to the Bay Islands to dive.

Looked at going to San Andres and Provedencia but all the reviews I've read are less than stellar. Have done Little Corn Island in the same vicinity but it's far from what I'd ever recommend for divers or non-divers.

Re: FIBR vs CCV
Thanks for those comments/thoughts as well. Your observations coincide with what I've read elsewhere. I hate to sound like a cheapskate but was mostly considering FIBR due to being an all-inclusive, and for use we've had good luck with most all-incl. Also, it does seem like good location (can basically swim to CCV/same reef).
However, now I'm thinking CCV might be our best bet & then budget bit more for dining/drinks. :)
CCV is also AI (for dining, not drinks)

I try to get in 4-5 dives per day (5th being a night dive or last "blow off bubbles from shore/house reef")
Spouse - different story, more like 1-2 a day tops, skip a few days & read a book on beach/sleep-in/hike around.

The choice of CCV might create an entirely new dive buddy for you. Lots of shallow diving, no current, temps reliably 82°, very simple shore dive into a clear aquarium. No hiking.

Mentioning this as my preference is liveaboard, which we've done several times over years, but that's becoming more rare (w/spousal dive sched) so I'm saving liveaboard for Galapagos

Consider doing it land-based from Puerto Ayora- she would love that, but that's another thread.

So it sounds like I can reliably get my more packed diving days in in Roatan.

At CCV, yes, but it is the only one where you can get your 5x day plus an afternoon nap. It is a diving machine, from the compactness of the property, the perfect boats, gear rooms, the shore dive being at your doorstep. Expect access to a large volume of diving.

I did notice some Providencia links (including Tad's here on SB) which indicated you can arrange 4-5 dives a day (2x "doubles" - morn/afternoon), +night).

I would characterize that as a brutal and very tiring schedule when the reality of that promise came to fruition. (see below disclaimer)

Re: Providencia vs San Andres
From reading threads here on SB, and elsewhere, I get the impression that Providencia is quite a bit better than San Andres.
Did you dive San Andres and Providencia?

Pacific coastal diving Providencia in the January or winter months timeframe would be... interesting. I had an associate who worked on the island and truthfully, he waved me off from diving, so that is the extent of my knowledge other than researching & discussing with him the SCUBA ops and the character of available boats.

If so, wondering what your thoughts were about Providencia (Old Providence?) vs San Andres vs Roatan.

San Andres would not be my choice, but no regrets that I did it, via a private vessel. I have no recent info on the dive ops extant, but from what you can garner on the "nets", both in terms of trip reports as well as dive-op websites, the diving infrastructure is comparatively primitive. I have several close associates who recently visited and concur.

Roatan, most specifically the Southern shore that you expressed focus upon? It is absolutely unique in the Caribbean. For an approx 8 mile zone East and West of CCV, the reef structure begins within yards of shore, breaks in 5-35' to straight down, vertical wall to a 90' sand shelf. The wall is fully exposed to the Sunlight all day long, so it's soft and hard Coral growth is startlingly lush. This is macro/micro heaven. In that storms come from the North, this Southern area is relatively unaffected by the battering of storms.

In regards to Guanaja, as in mjrob's post above... decidedly it is worth considering, but I have to say that "not really much more difficult to get to than Roatan" is a bit of a stretch.

Then... I sway towards San Andres in your case- because you are already in Columbia and have easy travel access. It is also way more resort/spa availability than anything on the Bay Islands. This might do better in the 'her' department.

:hm: decisions, decisions

So Doc, you don't care for that 40 mile surface swim?:wink:

You know, it's like a lot of things. I'd never again fly on the same airplane I flew from Roatan to Utila and back...twice. That thing was a dive site working on happening.

You can catch a flight from San Pedro Sula (DO NOT LEAVE THE AIRPORT) "direct" to Guanaja. Sometimes you land once, sometimes you don't. It's a Caribbean ting, mon.

Reactions: Doc
Re: Cocoview
Thanks all for the comments, including clarifying meals-included at CCV.
Hopefully they have openings, as we're calling to book there tomorrow (Dec 27-Jan2), hoping they might allow a Fri-Fri vs Sat-Sat (mentioned on their website as req), otherwise will juggle flights.

Looks like a nice house reef.
Also, from what I read on their site, it's unlimited shore/night & evens sounded like up to 4x boat dives (2x morn/2x afternoon with "droppoffs as 2nd dive"? not sure what that meant), unless further away is arranged (consensus/willing divers?) and then pay extra. Otherwise, everything included.

BTW - checked out Guanaja - looks really interesting. The flights/timing/price was right on Roatan (+CCV) so looks like that will be the route for this trip. Guanaja maybe if we return to the area.

Couple other questions about CCV/Roatan:
Do they mind/ask if you dive solo (on boat/from shore)? [ photos & video - so hate to bug an insta-buddy <g> ] Or leave you alone after they see you dive a couple of times?
Any other recommendations - on-water rooms nice(/novelty)?
Any must-dive sites?
Anything on land (if I must 1-day?) should do?

Again, greatly appreciate all the input & useful feedback.

[ Side note - San Andres/Providencia: think there's a good chance we can go to Providencia with sister-in-law and niece+nephew next year, so will pocket that for another family+dive trip :) ]

Re: Cocoview
Looks like a nice house reef.

Shore diving from the resort in the Caribbean? I believe it is the #1.

As a point of resort based dives, we really like Hotel Atlantis Philippines (muck dive); various Maldives Resorts, but the Caribbean must be compared apples to apples. In point of fact, shore diving on Roatan is extremely limited, no matter what the .com advertisements say.

Also, from what I read on their site, it's unlimited shore/night & evens sounded like up to 4x boat dives (2x morn/2x afternoon with "droppoffs as 2nd dive"? not sure what that meant), unless further away is arranged (consensus/willing divers?) and then pay extra. Otherwise, everything included.

Two daily boat departures, 0800 (dives 1&2) and 1400 (dives 3&4) . Two tanks each. One moored dive, and then one "drop off" to swim back in on house reef. Dives 2 & 4 alternate between two different walls, both end at Prince Albert Wreck and then in to CCV. I find the drop off to be most interesting of all. I do them shallow at 35fsw and do some 2 hour BTs. Lots of good critters.

If you do the moored dive #1, they ask you to limit your BT to ±1hr. At that point, you can do the #2 drop-off dive or stay in the boat and motor back in to take a nap.

They instituted a "weekly night boat dive" as an extra deal a few years back. Some people just prefer the same familiar access, off their boat, versus doing their first night dive... from shore. Skip it, save the dough. For the same money, three divers could easily hire a DM (and pay for his dinner) to take them on a proper night shore dive at 8pm.

Couple other questions about CCV/Roatan:
Do they mind/ask if you dive solo (on boat/from shore)? [ photos & video - so hate to bug an insta-buddy <g> ] Or leave you alone after they see you dive a couple of times?

No. Do whatever you want, whatever you are capable of. Your first dive is a mandatory chaperoned shore dive to familiarize you with the u/w landmarks of the shore dive's wrecks and return through the reef. After that, just tell the DM if you're going past 100' (there is nothing different to see past 75fsw) . Shore dive? Just sign-out on the sheet. Adios. You are, as CCV has always phrased it, treated as an adult.

Any other recommendations - on-water rooms nice(/novelty)?

Personal choice. I would say more novelty than utility. At your projected time of reservation and at this late date, you're not going to have a lot of choice. I really wouldn't lose much sleep over it. Due to my orthopedic issues, we always take one of the closest-in and least requested land situated rooms. (even it has it's own distinct "advantages" and attributes) In our younger years, we always stayed in the room furthest along the pier (75 yards down), it's really no big deal or difference.

There are four "bungalow" rooms and twelve "cabana" rooms, these are very Robinson Crusoe-esque on stilts over the water on an active reef. The "on shore" rooms, 14 or so in number, have nice porches and slightly better views of the critters in the "Front Yard" tidal pool.

Do not be discouraged by being put on a room waiting list and being slotted into available Playa Miguel Beach Houses. They are elegant and no more than a three minute bicycle ride on the same secured private cay that is CCV. As rooms open back up on the main resort, they will move your reservation accordingly. If you prefer no unwanted light at night and only the sounds of your own shoreline, many people prefer Playa Miguel.

Any must-dive sites?

Every one, each one. You can sleep-in back in British Columbia. As far as paying extra for an all day trip? Maybe if you are never coming back. If you like what you see in this very unique localized environment, keep diving this zone as much as you can.

Each and every night, be in the water at 8pm. If you are not yet a night diver, make this happen. No better dive site for this because of the shallowness and the large number of u/w landmarks. If you pay attention, you simply can not be lost. If you are diving on the Prince Albert Wreck, you could be safely standing on sand in 3 minutes (unless you go on a narrow beam to the ESE where you would be in 3,000 feet).

Anything on land (if I must 1-day?) should do?

Roatan is fairly devoid of terrestrial activities that might be "unique". Not all that scenic. What to do on "off-gassing day"? A number of people book the Dolphin Snorkel at AKR, some people do the Water Taxi Mangrove Tour (drink your way around the South East of Roatan. More than you might guess just stay at CCV and snorkel or sunbathe. It's curious- first time visitors to CCV clamor for an off resort experience. Return visitors, which are a huge number, tend not to bother except for the airport on Saturday. The local restaurants are a diversion, not really all that remarkable (they would all fail if in North America), and for me- they get in the way of night diving. The standard weekly offering of a trip to "Geos Restaurant" survives for no reason that I can fathom.

As to the "1 or 2 a day" spouse....

I have taken three non-certified GF's here over many years. Two of them had no intention of getting u/w. They all became happy SCUBA divers right then and there. The "Front Yard" is basically a clear water swimming pool with lots of pretty fish. The urge to keep your face u/w is huge. I would be quite surprised if she didn't do a bare minimum of two a day. But if she wants to lay in the sun, lots of over the water sun decks for that.

There is a quiet undertone at CCV from all of the DMs and the instructional staff at Dockside Dive Center- they are insidiously persistent at turning you into u/w naturalists. Slow down, use a magnifying glass, be amazed at all of the macro creatures that are using this very Sunny wall as an incubator for juveniles and tiny crustaceans that "hide in plain sight". Many of us refuse to follow any DM. In the case of CCV, be sure to check out what he is pointing his flashlight at. Stay shallow, not very much really to see past 55', do long BTs, log a lot of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom