What is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spthomas

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know I've been away for a while, but a friend sent this picture. What is this?
jy2a4u7u.jpg

A way for non-divers to get under water. The big bubble helmet full of air lets them breath. They're attached to a bouy that sets their depth. Bicycle-style controls let you ride them around, powered by a little electric motor in the base.

i wonder what would happen if they happen to hold their breath by accident on ascent? possible lung over-expansion? they are still breathing compressed air... and what they would do in an OOA situation...

the website says 8 foot limit -- plenty of room for shallow water trouble. although a different website shows 5meters.

i wonder what would happen if they happen to hold their breath by accident on ascent? possible lung over-expansion? they are still breathing compressed air...

Based on the one time we rode these things in Cancun, prior to discovering SCUBA... the ascent is by winch. And very slow. We were at 20-25 feet and took 3-4 minutes to ascend.

and what they would do in an OOA situation...
Again, based on the one time we rode them... there are divers with the group. And given the lack of depth and the very short bottom time (I think we were down maybe 30 minutes), with zero exertion, I think running out of air is unlikely. No more likely, and no more dangerous, than your typical discover SCUBA class.

Equalization, non-breath holding, and "Oh ****" were discussed prior to the dive, including how to stop the descent if you had trouble equalizing on the descent.

Dope on a rope.

Bob
--------------------------------------
There is no problem that can't be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, duct tape, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order.

Now with a motor and ditch the tether, we could have REAL submarine races!

The ones I looked at at Stuart Cove's actually had pressure gauges built into the console. No idea if people were told to look at them or if it was just for the staff. They call them SUBs. Stuart Cove's Sub Bahamas Adventure Stuart Cove Divers Bahamas Best Dive Trips Stuart Coves Country Club Sub Bahamas Sub Nassau Bahamas Vacation - Pilot Briefings

The ones we rode in Cancun also had a gauge, and we were told to signal if we reached something like 1000PSI.

Now with a motor and ditch the tether, we could have REAL submarine races!

They do have motors and can be steered. They just don't have any depth control except for the tethered bouy.

Back
Top Bottom