Call-attention noises made when on surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anthony Appleyard

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in England. A long time ago I found when scuba diving that on the surface, when needing to attract attention, I can easily make through my snorkel a loud noise like an elephant trumpeting. A case of this in my diving log is:-

At Trearddur Bay: "A number of times during the dive I trumpeted at them through my snorkel to attract their attention to try to delay them while I caught them up. They afterwards criticized the noise, and said that it sounded as if I was in trouble ‑ but no rescue attempt was noticeable."

At Eccleston Quarry in Lancashire, another unusual need to call attention was:
"We talked a while, during which some objects fell into the water near us from the cliffs above us. I protested and ahoyed upwards; a car door was shut overhead. Someone adding to the rubbish heap, which was beginning to break surface, or idly throwing stones in."

Back
Top Bottom