U-Boat U-166 in the Gulf of Mexico photographed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Shearwater posted a link to this on facebook, I thought I'd share it here.

Update: inaccurate coordinates removed

Explorers visit Nazi sub off the Texas coast | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Funny the texas news article says the boat is "off the Texas coast" yet if it were any closer to Louisiana the boat would be on land.

It's a war grave, and too deep to dive anyway (except maybe for Akimbo?). However, there are some cool photos going around.

Last edited:
great pics of the sub!

Here the explanation of why it's still off the coast of Texas...

A-Texan-s-Map-of-America-texas-21994249-1484-942.jpg

Thanks for the post.
The coordinates in the first post are utterly bogus. Those coordinates are in about 60 feet of water. I have dived several wrecks in the area indicated by those numbers and you will very rarely see vis like you see in the u-boat video there.
Very cool info though.

Shearwater posted a link to this on facebook, I thought I'd share it here.

Update: inaccurate coordinates removed

Explorers visit Nazi sub off the Texas coast | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

Funny the texas news article says the boat is "off the Texas coast" yet if it were any closer to Louisiana the boat would be on land.

It's a war grave, and too deep to dive anyway (except maybe for Akimbo?). However, there are some cool photos going around.

This looks like very old news. Here is what Wikipedia had to say about the U-166:

[h=2]Wreckage located in 2001[edit][/h]

A gun on the deck of the sunken U-166

However, in 2001, when the wreck of Robert E. Lee was located, in more than 5,000 feet (1,500 m) of water, the wreck of U-166 was also located, less than two miles from where it had attacked the Robert E. Lee. Upon investigation, it was discovered that another U-boat, U-171, also operating in the Gulf of Mexico, had reported coming under attack from an American aircraft on 1 August 1942, with little damage. Therefore, the credit for the sinking of U-166 should have gone to PC-566.[10][12][13] Charles "C.J." Christ from Houma, LA spent most of his life searching for U-166 and was involved in the final identification of the U-boat.[14]
The site where U-166 lies, at 28°37′N 90°45′W has now been designated a war grave due to its crew of 52 being entombed there, and is protected from any future attempts to salvage it.[15]

The sub looks almost buried in the sediment. I wonder if the superstructure of Lee is still there. I see lots of brass portholes that would look good above the water.

This looks like very old news. Here is what Wikipedia had to say about the U-166:

Wreckage located in 2001

I believe the wreck was located long ago, but the high quality photographs and video are what's new.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom