Where to dive late July/August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anjina

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

what would be the best place to dive late July and August in general weather wise? I don't mind whether it's Asia or the Caribbean or somewhere else, I'll be flying from Europe anyways (if I can find affordable tickets!). I was thinking of Belize actually, I read there is a short dry season during this time, has anyone been there in this period? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance!
Anja

August has 3 times the total tropical storms and hurricanes as does July, whihc averages 1 per year while August averages 3 per year. In Belize last year they were affected by 2 storms, neither very strong. In 2012 there was one in August, and the same in 2011. 2010 was active with four storms hitting Belize, one in June, 2 in Septmber, and one in October. Travel as earlier in the season as you can, watch short and long term weather forecasts, and plan accordingly. History and statistics say you should be able to get in a trip unaffected too much by the weather.
Divemaster Dennis

Thanks a lot Dennis. How about some other places so? I know a lot of Asia would have monsoons but perhaps there are some good spots somewhere?

The atolls in french polynesia, this is their winter/dry season and we just returned from one of the islands. Weather was great and diving on the atolls is always spectacular.

Thanks so much, great suggestions! Top 10 is a great list! Btw, Wico, French Polynesia sounds spectacular but to my knowledge getting there costs a fortune! How did you fly/what's the best way to fly? Cheers!

North Florida. The springs and caves are clearing up after the spring flooding. Never got sea sick or blown off a cave diving site. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Curacao, Bonaire, Bermuda are not in the hurricane "zone"

Thanks so much, great suggestions! Top 10 is a great list! Btw, Wico, French Polynesia sounds spectacular but to my knowledge getting there costs a fortune! How did you fly/what's the best way to fly? Cheers!

Where are you flying from? There are limited ways, AIr France, Hawaiian Air and Air Tahiti Nui. Here (in the US) all is routed through LAX, and I think but do not know for sure, that Air France also goes thru LAX. Hawaiian has limited days.

We use ATN because we can generally get on the red eye flights, and then get straight out to an atoll. I'd rather do that when we can instead of spending a night on Tahiti each direction. THe interisland flights do not fly at night, so if you take a daytime flight from LA, you stay on Tahiti and if you leave for LA on a daytime flight you also probably stay Tahiti the night before you head home. THat said, we just got back from there and took a day flight home and it wasn't so bad. We booked a overwater for the last day in Tahiti and got an early check in and just relaxed all day. But, we had our 14 year old with us who got certified there, so we did not go to the atolls this time, we did the island of Moorea making it a super easy dive for her, and a less expensive trip as no interisland flights are required, just a ferry ride. BUT the islands are not the spectacular diving you get on the atolls.

Occasionally, they have fare sales and we were lucky to use that for this latest trip, so air was like 1/2 what it usually is.

You can make your stay far less expensive if you stay in a pension, and we always do that now, we prefer them to the resorts actually. Tevahine Dream is excellent in Rangiroa, and we also really liked Havaike Pearl Farm on Fakarava. THere are many to choose from.

Once you get to Tahiti, where the international terminal is, you have to take an interisland flight and those are all on Air Tahiti. You can get a pass and that reduces costs, and then you just have to make sure to book in the order it requires. For us, that is Rangiroa first then Fakarava. It sounds more complicated than it is.

If you want to go, or want to look into it for this or another trip, just message me and I can get you more information on flights. I know people who manage to get their flights there by points, but that takes planning and time. Weather there right now is pretty much perfect. We actually got a little chilly at night a couple times and that never happens when we go there in March for our anniversary trip, which is during their Summer.

Back
Top Bottom