Laguna dive spot........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinnybones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey divers :) I hope all is well. Could I get some help here please? I wanna get a dive in on the 26-27th of this month on the west coast of Cali of coarse. I'm trying to hit a beach in Laguna but every weekend morning every good spot is full of dive classes. It's super crowded like Shaw's cove and such. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I only want to get in a few hours in early, then hit work.
Thanks for any help your guys could give me :)

Its timing, not location for beach dives. I find 6:45-7AM I can dive anyplace in LB and find choice parking (close to the stairs). By 7:30 it is a crap shoot, 8AM, you are doomed.
If you want really nice dives, pick up a boat out of Long Beach / San Pedro and have 4X the visibility and 3 dives and lunch with no parking hassles.

Grumpy is right. It's timing. Go really early or really late, but not in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Here is what works for me. I go a bit later around 0900. I park around divers cove and just pay the meter.
The day use beach goers have not arrived yet in mass.
Most of the classes are coming out of the water and by the time I'm geared up to go in it's fine.
I mostly enter at divers cove, head out to the reef, then head south to Heisler park and exit by the ramp (has a fresh water shower).

You only mentioned Shaw's cove specifically. Shaw's has the distinction of being the most popular spot for dive classes since it is easy to walk down and the entry is not very difficult if conditions are right. The reef is very easy to navigate being perpendicular to the beach and becomes an easy 90 degree on the compass.

Check out South Coast Divers website for a complete description of the different dive sites along the Laguna Beach coast. For easy parking both Heisler Park and Diver's cove are the easiest but you have to pay the meter. Crescent bay is also popular but requires street parking much like Shaw's.

As the old saying goes, "the early bird gets the worm." I always try to be at the dive site in Laguna as close to 7 am as possible. At that time parking is always available. South Coast divers generally gets to most sites before 8 am and for the few times I've dove with them parking is usually not a problem for Saturday mornings but they never dive Shaw's except for a night dive.

I second freewillie's comment. I would add that if you need a buddy to dive with on the 26th, you should consider tagging along with South Coast Divers that day. They are a friendly group, very welcoming of new people, will give you the opportunity to explore a site other than Shaw's Cove (which is simple to navigate if you decide to head out again later that day or the next) and almost never have any problems with parking.
Scuba Diving Laguna Beach with South Coast Divers

The city has an ordinance that scuba classes have to out of the water and off the beach by 10:00 am. I don't think it applies to two people just diving.

A less popular spot that I like is Woods Cove. The rocks and reef are closer to shore so you don't have to swim as far. It also was not as silty last time I was there.

As many have said, if you get there after 7:30 (7:00 is better) good luck. Then you have to wait for the early bird divers and classes to finish and slip in between them leaving and the sun worshipers. Shaws is very popular and used for classes. Crescent cove is great and usually has better parking. The Montage Resort offers some nice diving and is not usually used by classes due to the very long walk on a paved sidewalk. You have to pay for parking after 8:00 which presents a problem for divers at 7:00. There is a AA group that meets on one weekend day. They fill the lot but leave before 8:00. So if you hit Laguna Beach after 7:00-7:15, try the Montage in far south Laguna Beach.

Pasley - did you get to dive with sundiver express today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom