Substrobe s not flashing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruxpot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is an old strobe. I took this thing on one trip after making a diffuser by scuffing sandpaper on an acrylic sheet and dremeling it out. I then duct taped this to the front of the flash, and put another opaque plastic sheet in front of that. Then I duct taped the fiber optic cable to the sensor. It looked really tacky but it worked on a 2-tank dive trip. Then I forgot to turn it off and threw it in a hot car trunk.

When I got back to my room hours later, I noticed the test switch was not working and it was making strange sounds. I thought maybe the batteries were low so I went to the store and bought brand new alkaline Duracell AA's and it still makes a weird whirring sound (capacitor charging) and doesn't work at all, although it is "on." It sounds a little uneven (the sound).

Does anyone know if this is salvageable ? What is the most likely cause of it turning on but no longer flashing?

Attachments

• substrobes.jpg
    substrobes.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 135
This is an old strobe. I took this thing on one trip after making a diffuser by scuffing sandpaper on an acrylic sheet and dremeling it out. I then duct taped this to the front of the flash, and put another opaque plastic sheet in front of that. Then I duct taped the fiber optic cable to the sensor. It looked really tacky but it worked on a 2-tank dive trip. Then I forgot to turn it off and threw it in a hot car trunk.

When I got back to my room hours later, I noticed the test switch was not working and it was making strange sounds. I thought maybe the batteries were low so I went to the store and bought brand new alkaline Duracell AA's and it still makes a weird whirring sound (capacitor charging) and doesn't work at all, although it is "on." It sounds a little uneven (the sound).

Does anyone know if this is salvageable ? What is the most likely cause of it turning on but no longer flashing?

cruxpot,

We no longer have parts available to repair strobes from that era. We can replace components if the battery compartment has flooded, otherwise, you have a museum piece.

You might try another set of fresh batteries before retiring the unit.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

cruxpot,

We no longer have parts available to repair strobes from that era. We can replace components if the battery compartment has flooded, otherwise, you have a museum piece.

You might try another set of fresh batteries before retiring the unit.

Best Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite
I Would also have doubts that it. Would sync properly also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom