I know tank boots are the devil but what about boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemounting? Easy, set up your tanks and lay them under the bench.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I leave boots on. I don't like the faber boots which suck onto the tanks pretty hard and don't stop them from rolling.
7.25 Rubber Tank Boot Octagon style
I much prefer that style since you can rinse them off much easier and they don't suction on quite as hard as the flexible rubber types that faber/scubapro uses. YMMV but there's no real reason to take them off unless you are no mounting through restrictions. They make life much more convenient, especially on a boat.

My doubles do not have boots, but all of my single tanks have boots. I store my tanks upright in my garage so the boots are nice to have. In my boat they just lay down on the floor, since it is a small boat. On my friends boat tank boots protect the floor as he uses roll control. Rarely do I knock the boots off, but I do wash the tanks, especially around the boots carefully after diving.

Edit: It wouldn't matter with my tanks on a commercial boat anyhow since I dive HP130's that are too big to fit in most boats tank racks.

I have seen many people using steel tanks without tank boots and put them into the racks then bungee the top in place. Seems to work fine. I would say safer than having them sliding around on the deck in a heavy seas.

Last edited:
I see no need for tank boots when side mounting. No need to put them back on to dive from a boat. I've done quite a few boat cave dives. Pretty sure my dive buddies would have choked me out if I'd put boots on the tanks so they could stand up in the racks.

Pretty easy to set up the tanks with regulators, then slide them under the bench, out of the way. No need to stand them up, or put them in the rack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

* wrong area, please delete *

Last edited:
Not at all helpful i know, but I went for the best of both worlds.... steel cylinders, that are concave flat bottomed.... they stand without the need for boots :) Happy days :)

I can't see why boots would be needed on a boat, as in a tank rack they should be tied toward the top anyway...... at least that's how it is on all the boats i've been on.... bottom drops into a hole to stop it sliding about, and the top is tied in to prevent swaying/slipping sideways or forwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom