DM course in Playa del Carmen or Utila ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First post on this forum!

I am a rescue diver, with more or less 40 dives. I am looking at doing a DM next months, to be able to work afterwards a bit in the diving industry ( not really looking at doing an IDC now...)

I need some help/advices on choosingthe perfect DM course location for myself.
I am right now hesitating in betweenProdive Mexico playa del Carmen and UDC Utila.

Playa del Carmen looks awesome, becausearound there is the cenotes and of course Cozumel. But it is quitecrowded, and a bit expensive to live. There is also a lot to doaround in terms of cultural Mexico. The DM course there can be donein 6 weeks, and probably with a placement of a couple of weeks inCozumel.

Utila looks really nice, reallychilled, very different of Playa del Carmen. Unfortunatly, I am notsure there is a lot to do on the island besides diving. It is alsofar cheaper, and UDC offers free diving for life if you do the DMwith them.

Both Dive shops have excellentreputation. As in real life I am a flight attendant, the « divefor life » deals seems awesome. Althrough I am asking myselfwether after diving around 2 months in Utila, if you really want tocome back there (even with the perspective of free diving) instead ofexplore other locations around the world, and work as a DM in theseothers locations.)

A lot of people I asked told me the teaching was better in playa. But playa will be 700 usd (more or less) more expensive.

I am trying to find the right balance between quality of diving/quality of teaching/price/atmosphere !

thanks a lot for your replies ;p

bene

Mike, I guess this is all very subjective, as it really depends on the instructors teaching you...

I think you should be thinking about where you want to dive more instead of where to become a DM...

Bénédicte Mevel;7178219:
Again : "I am trying to find the right balance between quality of diving/quality of teaching/price/atmosphere !"

What the most important?

Utila takes the lead in the 1st 3 and the last one is subjective depending upon what you want, busy, touristy, action or quiet and laid back small island life?

What the most important?

most important quality of diving/quality of teaching of course.
So you would choose Utila and then go to playa (using the money I saved on my DM?) to dive cozumel and the cenotes ??

Another question pops in my mind : how sketchy can it be to reach Utila from San pedro Sula? I have been travelling long time now, in very sketchy countries, and I am a bit tired of it...

The part about going to Cozumel and playa afterwards is up to you. I wouldn't have any requirements to go elsewhere afterwards. If Coz and the cenotes are a requirement then do everything in Playa. Coz and the cenotes will always be there.

Yes getting to Utila is not as easy as it once was if you're coming from Roatan since they murdered the guy who used to run a private ferry back and forth. But from the main land it's not that big of a deal. Honduras is a F'd up country. But Utila and Roatan are basically so far removed from Honduras that they are almost not part of Honduras, but the main land is sketchy to put it nicely.

Look at this recent thread for info about getting there http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/487996-utila-charter-flight-rates.html

in fact search scubaboard for "Utila" and do so reading about it. Utila/Roatan are one of the most major, if not the most major dive training locations in the Caribbean.

How to get to Utila 101:

Contact Alice at Worldwide Travel on Utila. They have a Facebook page where she lists flight options also. There's CM and another airline for SPS to Utila flights. I believe both land at La Ceiba briefly first. And it's all daytime travel - there's no lights at the Utila Airport - not much of a terminal either...lol. Morgan's Travel on Utila is another option for booking flights within Honduras.

https://www.facebook.com/wwtutila
Home

Some people stay overnight in SPS then take the Hedman Alas bus to La Ceiba then the Princess Ferry on to Utila. They're called backpackers..LOL. IDK how that works. My guess would be you can't get to La Ceiba in time for the morning ferry so I'd do the Roatan route instead.

Another option is to fly into Roatan - from several US hubs it's direct - then fly over on a charter to Utila - thru Worldwide or Morgans.

Another option if you can be on Roatan around noon is the ferries. It's counter intuitive but you actually land on Roatan around noon, clear customs/immigration then take a 10min. cab ride to the Galaxy Ferry at Dixon Cove. The Galaxy goes back to the mainland to La Ceiba at 2PM sharp. Takes 70mins. The Princess Ferry docks next door to it and leaves at 4PM for Utila - arriving there at 5:15. Should something go wrong - like weather - La Ceiba is much safer at night than San Pedro Sula.

Roatan Ferry, La Ceiba Ferry | Safeway Maritime
Utila Princess - Utila, The Bay Islands, Honduras

hth, we did the ferries from Roatan to Utila. Worked well.

Back
Top Bottom