Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencer Crabtree

Registered
Reaction score
I want a smaller digital watch with things like depth and the alarm when you ascend to fast. And under $500. If anybody has brands or watches in particular they like I could use some help picking one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not exactly small, but I have been pretty happy with my Mares Puck. FWIW.

A.

Suunto (D4i) and Oceanic (GEO 2.0), both make watch sized dive computers.

Although a small computer sounds great, those that I know that use them, have all upgraded or wished for a larger screen. A puck sized computer is just about right. Of course OLED is the easiest to read in all circumstances.

As to alarms...others will hate you if you set them off often. Your ears should tell you if you are descending or ascending. Make sure what ever you get has the option to turn the alarms off without too much hassle, as you yourself may get tired of hearing them.

TX1 Trimix Computer - Dive Right in Scuba
Dive Computers - Dive Right in Scuba

Although a small computer sounds great, those that I know that use them, have all upgraded or wished for a larger screen. A puck sized computer is just about right. Of course OLED is the easiest to read in all circumstances.

As to alarms...others will hate you if you set them off often. Your ears should tell you if you are descending or ascending. Make sure what ever you get has the option to turn the alarms off without too much hassle, as you yourself may get tired of hearing them.

I agree with "small" being undesirable. And I recommend not looking to use a dive computer as an everyday watch. I had a buddy on a dive boat who had a ScubaPro, which looked like a sport watch, and without great uncorrected vision, I found the display too small. I agree with "puck" size as being the best for a small computer.

I don't agree with ears telling you when you're ascending. Mine generally don't. And when descending, they only tell me occasionally once I am below 20 feet. The only way I started to learn to tell that I was ascending too fast (i.e., more than 30 fpm) was with my computer beeping at me. Awareness of ascent and descent may be old hat to old hands, but newer divers need help.

As for recommendations, the usual suspects in the entry-level computer field are Suunto Zoop, Mares Puck (or the more expensive Puck Pro), and, to a lesser extent, Cressi Leonardo. These are in the $190 to $250 range, depending on the make.

I did a review of the Zoop in the following thread, which also had some follow-on posts about the Puck and the Leonardo.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/476179-my-review-suunto-zoop.html

For $500, you could get a more advanced computer, such as one that allows gas-switching during a dive, but the models referred to above will handle air and nitrox to 50%.

Thank y'all for the input. I just got certified and had no clue where to start. I agree with wanting a bigger face on the watch because I could see how a small one would be harder to see. I looked at the Cressi at my local dive shop and thought about that one but I wanted some more choices. I'm leaning more towards the mares puck now. Thank y'all

Kind of totally disagree with the size issue here. If your eyesight is fine, you'll do just fine with watch size computer. No need for OLED either, as long we are not talking about deep dark dives

One other thing I would recommend is some type of bungee mount, not a wrist strap like a typical watch uses. Drysuits and wetsuits both compress, so the bungee provides tension no matter what. Plus with two different bungee cords it provides redundancy so if one side breaks you don't loose your computer.

Many computers and a couple of compasses fit in these mounts.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?category=instruments

This is an affordable puck. Some warm water will pop it right out of the mount it is in.
Hollis DG02 Digital Bottom Timer and Nitrox Computer | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
DG03 Dive Computer and Digital Gauge by Hollis Gear - Dive Gear Express

Here are plenty more computers to investigate.
Dive Computers and Accessories - Dive Gear Express

Features you might want in the future.
Gauge Mode
Deep Stop ability
Software configuration for connection to a PC/Mac
Bungee Mountable
User serviceable battery
Nitrox (Trimix if you plan to go down the tech road)

i dive with my super awesome breadbox on a wrist galileo luna. its served me well week in and week out for the last 4 years. Easy to read display, day or nite. all of my buddies with D4's and D6's are on their 2nd and 3rd warranty replacements and have had to send them in for battery changes at a hefty premium. i can change my own batteries easily on both the watch and the transmitter. Never let me down, and a wealth of info easily displayed and wirelessly downloaded.

I have to caveat, i've heard no real grumblings over the D9/D10's everyone seems happy with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom