Exposure suit for Michigan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubamanEVP

Reaction score
I'm very new to scuba, and I'd like to get some advice on what sort of exposure suit is best for diving in Michigan. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance

I second that! Unless you only want to dive in very shallow, protected water, and really LIKE being cold for the second and third dive of the day, a Drysuit is the only way to go. I got mine from Bob3, from here on the Scubaboard, for less than $1000. That's a great price for a Viking drysuit and includes what I spent on the undergarment (Softwear Undies) and the drygloves (Viking system). I'm warm and toasty in most all diving conditions and really like the suit. Granted, when I'm down in the tropics, I love to dive with a 3/5mil shorty, wet. But up here in Michigan, dry is the only way to go...

While getting a drysuit is good advise, i'm not sure i would recommend spending that kind of money right away.

A good, two piece, 5 or 7 mil wetsuit will cost a lot less and will work very nicely for most rec. diving in Michigan.

Invest in a drysuit if and when you really get into diving.

"Best" is clearly a drysuit. As gedunk said, they cost a lot more than a wetsuit, however. Most of us start out in wetsuits and migrate to drysuits when we get tired of freezing our patoots, you might want to get ahead of the curve and see about renting a drysuit for a bit.

I guess I'm the odd-ball. I didn't even bother with a heavy wetsuit when I started in diving again. I went straight to the drysuit and saved the money that I would have spent on a wet suit and used it to buy good quality beer for after the dives.....

The best would be a drysuit. Even new at our shop they are another 800 dollars above the price of the 2 pc. 7mm wetsuit and my heavy wetsuit never sees any use anymore.

frankenmuth_tom:
I guess I'm the odd-ball. I didn't even bother with a heavy wetsuit when I started in diving again. I went straight to the drysuit and saved the money that I would have spent on a wet suit and used it to buy good quality beer for after the dives.....

Well, you might be. But I'm in the same boat. I passed on the wetsuit after trying one during a particularly cold day. Never even considered it after that. I bought my drysuit on ebay for a reasonable price-not much more than a decent wetsuit would cost. It was used, but in good condition.

try renting a 7 mil 2-piece and then a dry.
That makes it easy to decide where you go from there.
Everyone reacts differently to conditions, you'll know after a couple of dives.
When trying wet, make sure you use a good hood to make sure you get the full benefit of a wet 7 mil.

TCooperWFI:
try renting a 7 mil 2-piece and then a dry.
That makes it easy to decide where you go from there.
Everyone reacts differently to conditions, you'll know after a couple of dives.
When trying wet, make sure you use a good hood to make sure you get the full benefit of a wet 7 mil.

Good advice. Also try to take in a nice chilly windy SI as well. All the comfort of a drysuit isn't underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom