Mares puck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good display and fairly easy to use. Manual's good about telling you how to manipulate the controls.
I hate the one button use though. Lots of presses and holding combinations to get what you need done.

I used them for the last shop I DM'ed for. Students were easy to pick up on the basic features, planning, and log book with quick instruction and no manual.

That's just my preference though. I prefer 2 button computers. Gets me through options and selection quicker.

Does everything I want and is very inexpensive. Only con is that the price for the USB/data cable is a ripoff. But there's an aftermarket version available for half the price.

I have a puck since 2009. Like it very much. Bought it because of its low price. I really don't mind about the one button design, however I understand it might annoy some people.

Underwater, having one or three buttons doesn't really matter.

I recently bought the puck pro because of its two gas management. Overall it is similar to the original puck.

Does everything I want and is very inexpensive. Only con is that the price for the USB/data cable is a ripoff. But there's an aftermarket version available for half the price.

Do you have a link for that?

I've got a Mares Puck, and as a pretty vanilla recreational diver it works just fine for me. I will admit that the one-button interface can be a PITA at times, but that's the trade-off for easy to learn. Biggest aggrivation for me, getting into the log, hitting the button once too often by mistake and blowing right past my last dive, which of course, is the one I wanted to look at.

I did do the online training for it, I wanted to be really familiar with it, especially so that if it started beeping and flashing icons at me I'd know what it meant.

I agree with the cable, I imagine it's a case where production and development costs get spread across a fairly small number of units, unlike say whatever the latest release from Apple is, where 5 million units sell the first month.

RBS

I agree with the cable, I imagine it's a case where production and development costs get spread across a fairly small number of units, unlike say whatever the latest release from Apple is, where 5 million units sell the first month.
Personally I think it's more of a case of trying to make up for the lower-cost main unit. Having an electronic log book is extremely convenient (and nifty, since you get all the details, dive profile etc) and many Puck divers will eventually shell out for this added functionality, which is probably what allows Mares to sell the Puck at such a low price to begin with. The electronics contained in the Puck USB cable are outrageously trivial, certainly not worth more than $10 or so.

I bought the puck wrist mount for my wife and she loves it. Easy to use and easy to replace the battery yourself. It will serve our needs for years to come. We bought something simpler for now so we could get the latest technology if we ever enter into more advanced diving.

Back
Top Bottom