Wife's mask band always falls down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So we are trying to see if this is a common issue and what can be done to fix it. My wife has a Tusa mask with the standard rubber strap. But her mask ALWAYS slides down and the strap basically bends her ear over and is super uncomfortable. She has about 25 dives with this mask and today she just "had it". She tried the neoprene cover with the larger pad and it does absolutely nothing, maybe even makes it worse. She doesn't have long hair, maybe chin-length.

We are considering having her go to a full hood or something.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem, the straps that come with the mask always slipped down too on me. I find the straps made of entirely neoprene far better. They wear out a little faster and do need a very good rinse , but they are heaps better.

I'd try replacing the strap with one of a different design. Some mask straps are pretty much one wide silicon 'pad' and others are like 2 smaller (maybe 1inch each) straps.

Like this
http://www.amscud.com/product_image...trap_AmScuD_Black_Silicon_M03__51363_zoom.jpg

and

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/35086072/aview/scuba-diving-silicone-mask-strap-clearblack.jpg

I'm not a neoprene mask strap fan and I'd expect a silicon strap to "grab" her hair a bit better than a slick neoprene one.

As you noted, the neoprene straps seem like they might help but they actually tend to exacerbate hair slide. They are great at not pulling hair but they let the strap wander around the head, which makes the neoprene snorkel keepers work well.

And different silicone straps grab hair differently as well.

One thing that often helps is to make sure that any hair is stationary. French Braid or pigtails if possible. Then pull the mask into place from above and don't push it up, because that just tends to make it slide down. Some people who know exactly where a split mask strap will sit, purposely tie the pigtail/braid at that point, and pull the braided hair through the split in the mask. Of course if the braid placement is off, the mask won't fit right, but the strap also will not wander around.

Simple lycra hoods work pretty well too with the standard silicone strap, but they are even more of a nightmare with neoprene mask straps. Getting a one piece rash guard and hood, usually found at spearfishing places makes dealing with the hood easier.

In the end some people just have that shape head that makes the mask end up making ears floppy unless it is under a real neoprene hood. If she is willing to wear an actual neoprene hood, getting a hooded vest does the same sort of thing as the rash guard with a sewn in hood, and does it even better. I love hooded vests. They are useful under thicker wetsuits; they are not so hot they are disabling even in warmer places, and in the warmest places a hooded vest and surf shorts is a nice warm to keep the core warm, and still get a tan on the arms, if that's what she wants.

Crazy Glue?

I use drywall screws. :wink:

(Good advice from the above posters)

Mask strap position is a factor as well. Many divers wear the strap too low. It should be on the crown of the head. Also, facial bone angles can be a factor, dictating the angle of the mask on the face, thus "pulling" a strap down. While I have not had this issue, I did know a lady who did. She went with a low pony tail and mask strap above it. It seemed to work.
DicemasterDennis

So we are trying to see if this is a common issue and what can be done to fix it. My wife has a Tusa mask with the standard rubber strap. But her mask ALWAYS slides down and the strap basically bends her ear over and is super uncomfortable. She has about 25 dives with this mask and today she just "had it". She tried the neoprene cover with the larger pad and it does absolutely nothing, maybe even makes it worse. She doesn't have long hair, maybe chin-length.

We are considering having her go to a full hood or something.

Any suggestions?

sorry, i don't get it how does her mask "slide down"?

a good fitting mask, on the face that is, should not move anywhere
i don't even tighten my strap, its not doing anything to hold the mask in place

Duct Tape.

sorry, i don't get it how does her mask "slide down"?

a good fitting mask, on the face that is, should not move anywhere
i don't even tighten my strap, its not doing anything to hold the mask in place
Bad wording on my part. The mask itself doesn't budge really. But it does tend to let in water prolly from adjusting the straps constantly and the strap falling down.

The one picture above of different types of silicone straps are almost identical to her straps that she already has on the mask

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom