How bad is it if an LDS calls you an “internet diver”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exundo

Registered
Reaction score
:shocked2: Have not heard this before let alone one directed toward me, but I feel insulted, angry about this comment, especially after offering him business instead of going online. What does this mean? Is there any diver out there that has not used the internet? Ironically, the LDS/owner is on the internet and even has a facebook page. I will calm down before I post something I will regret later.

Knowing the context would help, not that it really matters. If I frequented an LDS that didn't have anything better to do than insult paying customers, I would tell them to scr** themselves and find another dive shop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Not as bad as if LDS calls you some other names. What exactly you don't like about it? Being a person who knows what he wants, not needing a sales person to make you mind? Knowing what you can find and where for less the price, being vigilant? What exactly upsets you?

This is an age old battle of ....As long as you are on my turf, I want my share. This is fueled by the economy. They are trying to keep above water, and the customers are trying to make a buck go as far as they can. The customer says I cant aford your prices unless i buy and dont dive. The shop says if you dont buy no one will because they will have to close their doors. You say you are looking for a specific item they dont carry. They say they will special order and then ask where you will get it serviced. Too some extent it is a good old boy club. If oyu turned around and bought a dry suit from him, Things may drastically change or just get worse. I bought my mk25's and s600 on the net at half the price of the LDS. I dont regret it. I have also bought at twice the price in te LDS on slmaller items. I have later bought more mk25,s online and just felt better not mentioning anything about it with the LDS. Iahve also steered customers his way for trainign or purchaces. There is a point whee your diving will outgrow your LDS. Go to any shop that sells basic gear for $300 and utter the word backplate or d rings. After the cringing subsides and the conversation turns to how much better jackets are than a BP and special orders ect, you can just say thanks and you will keep looking.

Dont be irritated about this, Its your bank ballance you are committed to not the LDS's. If there is a bridge and a shortcut to grandmas house use the shortcut when needed but dont burn the bridge. Sometimes the woods at night can be dark and gloomy.

Yep, find a new LDS if possible.

I guess I'm an "internet diver" too, since my ScubaBoard post count now exceeds my lifetime dive count, and has for some time :wink:.

I'd recommend against posting something "ugly", it is unlikely to change the behavior of the LDS and may come back to haunt you if you need anything from them in the future... I think taking the high road in situations like this is best.

Rather, I would just "vote with my feet" and be happy I was able to uncover "unsavory" customer service early in the relationship, rather than after having spent a lot of money in that store.

Best wishes.

I've heard it used more in the context of someone who has gotten information or ideas about diving online which are not necessarily in line with the practices the LDS favors or is familiar with. E.g., DIR/BP&Wing/long hose and bungeed backups are popular and get talked about a lot here, but if the guys at the LDS are uncomfortable with them, they might well try to hide their insecurities by attacking the diver and the source of his information, thus he becomes an "Internet diver".

Last week I gave him items to match price, a regulator set, backup regulator and emphasized it be black not the yellow octo. He matched the price and ordered it last week for Wednesday delivery, he did not need my card info yet. Today after getting card #, he discouraged me from getting the black secondary, because it did not come with a hose, with the same price I could get the yellow octo with hose. Since I was configuring for DIR, I explained this is what I wanted. That's when he blew his top - “this is what I do for a living, you can't change the color,........this went on for a while. Then he hung up on me. I was caught off guard, texted him back to disregard the backup and just get main reg and one secondary. He then responds “be a internet diver! I don't want to get involved in this go your own way”. Whoaa what just happened, lest than 10 minutes from a pleasant call from him getting my card # to this!

Wow. Is this the only shop in town? If so, the only thing I would use him for would be fills.

He's doing you a favor. DYODD and buy a better set, for cheaper, online. Setup exactly how you want it, hose color and all.

And when his shop does the Going Out of Business Sale thing...show up, bring cash, haggle hard, and smile the whole time :D

Back
Top Bottom