Replacing depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc214

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys

I have a tusa gauge set with spg, depth, and compass. I also wear a computer on my wrist. My depth gauge has been acting up and not showing proper depth. Sticking at 20 feet and sometimes not moving again until 40 feet.

I cannot find a stand alone depth gauge made by tusa to replace it. Does anyone know of a depth gauge that I an swap out that would fit into this boot? Or am I stuck replacing the whole thing?

Thanks

4ature5e.jpg

I cannot find a stand alone depth gauge made by tusa to replace it. Does anyone know of a depth gauge that I an swap out that would fit into this boot? Or am I stuck replacing the whole thing?
You don't need a specific TUSA depth gauge (and may not be able to buy one separately, anyway - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tusa/340836-tusa-sca-330t-depth-gauge.html). The majority of depth gauges are generic in size (2" diameter), and they are just a 'puck' in the rubber housing, IOW not connected to anything. Just pull the old one out of the rubber housing, and put (push) in a new one (e.g. XS Scuba Depth Gauge Module Only at LeisurePro). Don't expect a new gauge to be inexpensive - you will probably pay ~$50 for one.

leisurepro sells a few standalone modules - Genesis, XSScuba, Oceanic Swiv. Maybe one of them will fit. They call them Depth Gauge Module if you search on their site.

No idea how you tell the diameter since they don't seem to list it anywhere.

I'd be less inclined to think the Oceanic would. I think I read somewhere there's something different about their case design.

Awesome, thanks Colliam7. I popped it out without issue. I'm going to size it up to that XS scuba one you linked to. Removing it also let me see that there is water inside the unit that you can see from the side. Time for a new one for sure.

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 12:09 PM ----------

leisurepro sells a few standalone modules - Genesis, XSScuba, Oceanic Swiv. Maybe one of them will fit. They call them Depth Gauge Module if you search on their site.

No idea how you tell the diameter since they don't seem to list it anywhere.

I'd be less inclined to think the Oceanic would. I think I read somewhere there's something different about their case design.

Thanks, the manufactures have some more information, but most of the leisure pro pages have questions asked by customers that include the sizes in the responses. Thanks a lot.

-BC

---------- Post added July 30th, 2014 at 05:09 PM ----------

Thanks for the answers so far. I found two gauges that would fit it my boot well, but before I pull the trigger I have some issues. After doing a few dives, mostly in quarry after rain storms (super low viz for a quarry), I have found that my current gear setup is not exactly "for me." Let me try to explain.

The SPG/Depth/Compass. PHeew. Hate it. I know that's where they go, but here is my issue. I'm familiar with land nav with a compass. I have been reading maps, taking headings, and triangulating on land for years. I get in the water, pick a heading, and off I go. Except this damn compass is in the most awkward place. I have to pull up this mammoth console then flip it over just to get a reading. I considered a wrist mount, but even that seems so awkwardly placed when it comes to reading the heading window. That being said, I ordered a compass on a retractor for my shoulder D ring. I can track it out in my right hand, and while holding it still have visibility of my dive computer that I wear on my right wrist (bottom).

Anyway, Compass on right shoulder d ring, check. Dive computer on right wrist, check. But I'm still hung up here. I like the redundancy of having an analog gauge, and I always wear a traditional watch on my left wrist. I'm not a fan of the big SPG combo boot, and I love the simple SPG only clipped into a D ring. I can easily cut away the top half of my boot and have just a SPG, or pick up a stand along SPG boot for my SPG. So getting that smaller an more manageable is easy. Doing this, I would lose my console compass, but this is not an issue as I ordered the new shoulder mounted retractor compass. Having streamlined a bit in this hypothetical, the only thing that I am missing is a max depth analog gauge as my backup.

Can I just throw a gauge in my pocket, or is there a boot that can clip somewhere to hold just a depth gauge that is not hanging on the end of my HP hose? I was thinking either just a depth gauge in a zipper pocket that I could reference in the event of a computer failure and subsequent ascent, or perhaps a wrist booted depth gauge that I could just clip onto something somewhere in my gear. It wouldn't be for reading on the fly, that's what my computer would be for, but rather it would only a backup in the event of a computer flood.

Maybe I am over thinking this, who knows. But I'd like to hear your thoughts on cleaning up my kit to avoid the massive gauge console, and carrying a depth gauge in a less traditional place.

Thanks a lot.

-BC

I have a similar set up now to that which you described. Compass on retractor, lone SPG. I bought a ScubaPro wrist Gauge and I'm quite pleased with it, except it doesn't have a luminescent face.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom