Weight Pouches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am seeing a problem with 20% or so of open water divers and integrated weight pouches.

Many people correctly attach a clip of some sort to their SPG/Console so it will not drag across the bottom and stir up silt or damage coral.

What I am seeing sometimes is that the clip is being attached to the the jettison pull ring of the integrated weight pocket. :no:

Visualize needing to ditch those weights and having your console attached to it....After the weights are ditched they stay connected to the console...big problem.

Please beware of this problem and make sure you do not do it. I suggest the console be attached on a D-ring on the shoulder strap. The reason is that it is easy to see in that position and does not have to be removed in order to see it.

You want the hose routed under the arm or over the shoulder,, with that recommendation?

Under is probably better....less entanglement potential.

Wow, I've yet to see that but then again the majority of OW's I see are my students.

Wow, I've yet to see that but then again the majority of OW's I see are my students.

Good on you and your students. The divers I see doing this are not recently certified, but are rusty..diving 25-30 feet deep reefs.

I clip my console off to the handle of my weight pouch, but the pouch is empty. I wouldn't do it, if I put ditchable lead in the pouch. It seems to be the perfect (convenient) location for me.

Common sense is the less common of all the senses.
If a diver with integrated weights in his BCD attaches the clip of the console to the buckle of the integrated weight, he deserves an accident !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom