Dive Table Comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jboneng

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since I took my OW training through SSI and the dive table I first learn to use was the SSI table, I have been using the SSI dive table out of habit, even when my other certifications is PADI. My regular dive buddies uses the PADI table or the Norwegian Standard table, during dive planning I observed that the other divers usually required shorter SI between dives and allowed longer NDL times than my SSI dive table would allow.

That made me curious so I went online with my trusty visa card and bought a copy of the most used dive tables in my area to compare them and find the table that suits me better (less conservative than the SSI table), so today the mail-man delivered a little package with the PADI, US Navy and Norwegian Standard tables, and now it was time to compare with 5 test cases for NDL and 5 test cases for SI.

My initial bias was that there would be two pairs of similar results SSI + PADI and US Navy + Norwegian standard when comparing NDL and SI.

I was a bit surprised by the result, seeing that Norwegian standard was the second most conservative table and that PADI was the second least conservative one.

Test case 1 NDL:
First dive: 22 meters - 30 min
Second dive: 18 metes
Tabel
NDL dive 1
NDL dive 2
RNT before dive 2
SSI
30 min
25 min
24 min
PADI
37 min
45 min
11 min
Norwegian Standard tabel
30 min
30 min
30 min
US Navy
40 min
40 min
20 min
First dive: 18 meters - 40 min
Second dive: 12 meters
Tabel
NDL dive 1
NDL dive 2
RNT before dive 2
SSI
50 min
69 min
61 min
PADI
56 min
112 min
35 min
Norwegian Standard tabel
60 min
60 min
75 min
US Navy
60 min
151 min
49 min
First dive: 35 meters - 10 min
Second dive: 10 meters
Tabel
NDL dive 1
NDL dive 2
RNT before dive 2
SSI
10 min
135 min
25 min
PADI
14 min
199 min
20 min
Norwegian Standard tabel
10 min
95 min
40 min
US Navy
15 min
285 min
25 min
First dive: 12 meters - 30 min
Second dive: 30 meters
Tabel
NDL dive 1
NDL dive 2
RNT before dive 2
SSI
130 min
6 min
14 min
PADI
147 min
12 min
8 min
Norwegian Standard tabel
135 min
5 min
15 min
US Navy
200 min
11 min
14 min
First dive: 25 meters - 20 min
Second dive: 22 meters
Tabel
NDL dive 1
NDL dive 2
RNT before dive 2
SSI
25 min
17 min
13 min
PADI
29 min
32 min
5 min
Norwegian Standard tabel
25 min
10 min
20 min
US Navy
30 min
27 min
13 min

Test case 2 SI:
First dive: 25 meters - 25 min
Second dive: 18 meters - 45 min
Table
Minimum SI
SSI
7t 36 min
PADI
1t 26 min
Norwegina Standard Table
5t 30 min
US Navy
2t 29 min
First dive: 30 meters - 17 min
Second dive: 22 meters - 30 min
Table
Minimum SI
SSI
12t*
PADI
2t 10min
Norwegian Standard Table
12t*
US Navy
3t 58min
* can’t do it as a repetitiv dive

First dive: 15 meters - 70 min
Second dive: 24 meters - 20 min
Table
Minimum SI
SSI
5t 13min
PADI
2t 3min
Norwegian Standard Table
4t 40min
US Navy
2t 45min
First dive: 33 meters - 14 min
Second dive: 12 meters - 100 min
Table
Minimum SI
SSI
2t 29min
PADI
0t 5min
Norwegian Standard Table
2t 20min
US Navy
0t 0min
First dive: 21 meters - 40 min
Second dive: 20 meters - 30 min
Table
Minimum SI
SSI
3t 21min
PADI
1t 16min
Norwegian Standard Table
6t 0min
US Navy
2t 24min
So the sorted list, based on this data, of diving tables from least to most conservative is:

1. US Navy
  2. PADI
  3. Norwegian Standard table
  4. SSI
So I guess I’ll be diving with the PADI table from now on.

So is my test cases flawed? Should I test for other scenarios / metrics? Did I just waste my time and money? And why the big differences in minimum SI?

I struggled with your post - I can't tell if you are serious or just looking for a discussion. So for now I will pretend you are serious.

Why are conservative tables a bad thing in a cold water environment? You have less than 100 dives - isn't it better to be cautious early in your diving experience? With more dive experience in cold water if you want the more aggressive tables can't decide later - why do you need it now?

Seems like you may be playing with something you don't quite understand... Seems to me you would be better off diving with the tables you learned with and start asking questions to those that dive in your environment first before you declare you will change your training tables because it does not suit your arbitrary needs for right now.

I struggled with your post - I can't tell if you are serious or just looking for a discussion. So for now I will pretend you are serious.

Why are conservative tables a bad thing in a cold water environment? You have less than 100 dives - isn't it better to be cautious early in your diving experience? With more dive experience in cold water if you want the more aggressive tables can't decide later - why do you need it now?

Seems like you may be playing with something you don't quite understand... Seems to me you would be better off diving with the tables you learned with and start asking questions to those that dive in your environment first before you declare you will change your training tables because it does not suit your arbitrary needs for right now.

The biggest problem I have is the SI, with the SSI I am most often restricted to one dive on a work day afternoon, with the PADI I can manage two. Also I was thinking that since most recreational divers uses the PADI table, it would be fine for me too ("Suits my needs" was maybe wrong wording?). I am also genuinely curious about what makes for those big differences, I would believe that they are created by somewhat the same or related data set, maybe by try and error in a chamber or by extracting values from an algorithm?

And I didn't say that conservative tables was a bad thing, but would think that PADI already have a good amount of safety margin.

Why did you take the SSI course? I am only curious what made you choose that organization?

When I think PADI I think Warm Water / Vacation diving - I don't think of Norway or the ocean off the NJ shore lately...
Do you dive with a PDC? If you do - do you follow your computer or your dive tables?

If you want to dig a bit more in the math that are behind those tables, I highly recommend you the book "The physics of scuba diving" by Marlow Andersen.It is a very simple book and I hope you'll be able to better understand the result you've got.

Why did you take the SSI course? I am only curious what made you choose that organization?

When I think PADI I think Warm Water / Vacation diving - I don't think of Norway or the ocean off the NJ shore lately...
Do you dive with a PDC? If you do - do you follow your computer or your dive tables?
PADI is what my local dive school teaches. I dive with a computer, but plans my dives with my dive table and follows the plan under water.

If you want to dig a bit more in the math that are behind those tables, I highly recommend you the book "The physics of scuba diving" by Marlow Andersen.It is a very simple book and I hope you'll be able to better understand the result you've got.
Thanks for the recommendation, e-book bought.

Back when PADI did the research that led to its tables, the U.S. Navy tables were what most people were using. They used the 120 minute compartment as the controlling compartment for surface intervals. There was frankly not a lot of research that went into making that decision. This led to very long surface intervals, which made it difficult to plan a dive day. PADI reasoned that recreational divers did different kinds of dives than the U.S. Navy did, and wondered if the 120 minute compartment was appropriate for those dives. They did very extensive research using Doppler bubble imaging to detect bubble formation in blood, I believe for the first time.

The results of their research indicated that for most recreational diving, the compartment controlling surface intervals should be the 40 minute compartment. Wanting to add a level of conservatism to be safe, they made the 60 minute compartment the basis for surface intervals in their tables. That still gave them considerably shorter surface intervals than on the old Navy tables. To add an even greater level of conservatism, they made the first dive NDLs shorter. This gave recreational divers the length dives they wanted to do on the first dive while giving them shorter surface intervals before the second dive.

The exception comes on a multi-dive day when the divers are getting near the NDLs. In those cases, a longer surface intervals is appropriate, and that is why the PADI tables have the WX and YZ rules.

I do not know anything about the SSI tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom