Zeagle Zena Operator Error!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a dive trip and wanted to report on my oddball incident with my Zena (which I LOVE). I was doing a night dive, upside down to take a picture when I felt my buddy (husband) grab my BC. I thought "aw, how nice of him to help with a little stabilization!" followed by "WTF - let go already" followed by "hey, is that my yellow mesh weight bag from my BC in the sand?!". Honestly, I really didn't know I'd lost my weights until I saw the bag on the bottom. (I was carrying 10 pounds and may have been a little over-weighted - wearing a 3 mil.) My weights landed on a guy under me, who was kind enough to pick them up and put them in the bag that I retrieved while my husband held me down. Whew.

So here's what I think happened (I'm attaching a pic to help illustrate). Prior to the dive I had taken out the weight pouches to readjust the placement of my BC on the tank (I'm short so I like the BC higher up on the tank). When I put the pouches back in the pockets I left the handle of the pouches sticking out (this is a key error key, I believe). I KNOW that both pockets were zipped closed because two other people had lost weight pockets during the week so I was on high alert and double checked.

The mesh bags zip closed from top to bottom (at least they do when I set them inside the weight pocket). The actual weight pocket zips closed from bottom to top. I THINK that I must have inadvertently unzipped the weight pouch as I zipped UP the weight pocket - and then when I turned upside down there was just enough of an opening in the zipper (because I left the handle hanging out) that it just unzipped and out came everything. This is the only way I can explain it. There's nothing wrong with the design of the BC - this is totally operator error - but this might be a good 'heads up' for anyone else who may make the same mistake. In the future I will insert the weight pouches with the handle on the bottom so the zippers operate in the same direction. (This is where somebody will tell me that if I had read the manual I would know that it clearly says that I had the pouches in upside down!!)
zena pocket.jpg

I always wondered whether or not to leave that little black tag hanging out on my Zeagle Stiletto. Now I know. I also try and match up the shape of the yellow bag with the pouch it's going in to.

(This is where somebody will tell me that if I had read the manual I would know that it clearly says that I had the pouches in upside down!!)
That would be me...:D

The pouches have an curve on one side that matches the angle of the weight pocket. And there's a keeper pocket sewn into them for the zipper. Which is the top. Judging from your picture, you had both of them wrong...:wink:

Capture.jpg

This is the 10lb. jr. pocket and your Zena has 12's but I used it since shows the zipper keeper better. The orientation is the same on any of them - the 90o corner goes down and to the back.

Not sure why you'd be concerned about the orientation of the pouch zipper when you're not going to open them except on the boat but it definitely goes on the top. That allows you to grab the pouch handle before unzipping the pocket completely if you're wanting to hand up your weights individually.

I flip the handle up before zipping the pocket. It keeps the zippers apart and when you open the pocket just enough it starts to drop down so you can grab it. I've trapped the handle underneath the pocket occasionally which makes it harder if you're trying to do it one-handed - while holding onto the ladder or something.

I suppose you could also load them with the longer pocket side vertical so the handle is on top - just be sure to push the zipper into the keeeper pocket if you do. It's difficult enough that it's not likely to come out. I think you'll find the weight pockets themselves (not the yellow pouches) are wider than they are tall so Zeagle expects you to load them with the handles down.

Last edited:
Yes , the zipper on both the weight bag and the pocket does not appear to have been fully closed. The tab on the zipper has to go under the little pocket when fully closed. This prevents the zipper being knocked open.

Well, now I'll have it installed correctly and will avoid any future mishaps. I wonder what other operator errors are lurking out there because I haven't read all of my manuals ... like that whistle ... or my new lavacore socks ... hmmm. All kidding aside, I was thrilled that my buddy, the other fellow diver and I all kept our cool and were able to save my arse without having to thumb the dive. Lesson learned. Confirmation that we can remain calm under pressure. And I'll keep an eye out for more of Mr Murphy's laws ...

(Btw, the picture was meant to illustrate what I did WRONG - just so ya know.)

Back
Top Bottom