pony bottle options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I finally scored a pony bottle. 13CF for $65 used with fresh hydro, vip and fill.
Next logical question is the best use. I do not run an octo on my primary regulator because I use it to clean boat bottoms.
So I wanted a truly independent air source, for recreational dives, that if I or someone else ran out of air, or had other issues, its not as big of deal. 13CF should be plenty even If I ran out at maximum depth. Of course you all know the benefits of a truly redundant air supply.

So what I would like is a gauge, and octo on it, and mounted in a place I can get to it, and remove it if needed.
In my new scuba diver mind, this to me would be a front mount.
However there must be a reason they do not sell these?
Where are the best mounting locations?
Where can I mount a gauge so that it is not on its own hose, can I mount one directly on the stage 1?

There are tons of threads on pony bottles, including a very long one currently in the advanced section. To mount it in the front, you just rig with stage tank type rigging and sling to the D-rings on the front of your BC.

Mike

Thank you, and sorry, I did not look in advanced, as I am new :p Someone can delete this if they would like.

Of course you will require a 1st stage. There are a couple mini pressure gauges available which will not require a HP hose and fit into the HP port on your 1st stage. You can purchase a small LP reg hose between 4-7 inches for your regulator. As mentioned there are threads available discussing where, how, and why to connect.
There is a unit sold called Spare Air that offers a similar solution. It incorporates al of the variables you have listed into a complete system.

There is a unit sold called Spare Air that offers a similar solution. It incorporates al of the variables you have listed into a complete system.

I did my research into spare air. It was so small that I would have to rapid ascend from whatever depth I was at. I plan to dive solo, so thats a no-go for me. I do not wish to make a panic accent, and end up in a hypobaric chamber for several hours. When I start going really deep I will have my 149, a 40 and my 13. All with their own regulator. I do desire safety, and I desire to be self sufficient in an emergency.

In my new scuba diver mind, this to me would be a front mount.

Thank you, and sorry, I did not look in advanced, as I am new

I plan to dive solo, so thats a no-go for me. I do not wish to make a panic accent, and end up in a hypobaric chamber for several hours. When I start going really deep I will have my 149, a 40 and my 13. All with their own regulator. I do desire safety, and I desire to be self sufficient in an emergency.

So as a new diver you are seeking help from the internet in how to dive solo without proper equipment and training. Not to mention your plans to "start going really deep." Sorry, but I refuse to play.

I did my research into spare air. It was so small that I would have to rapid ascend from whatever depth I was at. I plan to dive solo, so thats a no-go for me. I do not wish to make a panic accent, and end up in a hypobaric chamber for several hours. When I start going really deep I will have my 149, a 40 and my 13. All with their own regulator. I do desire safety, and I desire to be self sufficient in an emergency.

Maybe you should rephrase your question and put it in the advanced section. Something like, I am planning to eventually get some technical training for deep dives involving advanced nitrox and decompression. What tank could serve me well now as a pony bottle and still be useful later when I seek the proper training to do light technical dives?

Mike

0-24 dives and deep solo (or any solo) don't play well together. You're in way over your head - no pun intended.

Has anybody asked how "deep" he plans to go? Deep for you may mean something different than him and not require "technical training for deep dives involving advanced nitrox and decompression"? Maybe deep for him is 80 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom