Pony and Long hose routing questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all,

I'm 6'5 and I have my primary reg on a 7 foot hose... The problem I have is that the hose isn't long enough to tuck in my waist, or around a knife sheath. This results in the hose flapping around in the breeze.

Anyone have a similar issue/solution?

I sling a pony for self rescue on my left side and the reg hose comes off the right side, towards my body... When trying to breathe off the tank, the hose is pulling hard enough to be uncomfortable. Short of a longer hose, any suggestions?

If you refuse to get the right length hose for your body size and the configuration you've adopted, get a shorter one. Sounds like you could basically tuck a 5' primary hose under your right arm, across your body, and up around your neck without much slack. Unless you're trying to go piggyback through narrow restrictions, 5' is plenty of hose.

Your last question is unclear to me, though. Are you saying your pony hose is too short and is pulling? If a 40" standard stage bottle hose is pulling, you have something rigged wrong somewhere.

Thank you for the quick reply, you are correct on both accounts.

Saying that I am refusing is a bit harsh, I'm simply seeking solutions that I may not have anticipated before rebuying equipment.

The pony is a 40" hose, and I'm not sure how I could rig it much different.

I will post a picture of it tomorrow morning.

what is your pony bottle length? Put a 90* adapter on the long hose, it gives you an extra 5 inches or so, not DIR. I'm 6'4" and the 7 foot hose is plenty. What first stages are you using? Might try adjusting them a bit to give you an extra inch or so. If that doesn't work, you can custom order an 8' hose. I have a 9 footer that might work too though that's a bit long so you have to tuck it.

Use a longer hose on the pony, 40" isn't abnormal for O2 bottle setups which are slung the same as pony bottles. Again, adapters help give you a few extra inches and make them more comfortable.

I think I'd rather go shorter than longer (ha ha) as the long hose now can be a little unwieldy.

I'm willing to use swivel adapters if all else fails, but I'd like to avoid them if possible because the unnamed "they" said it could be a point of failure.

How are you running the pony hose when it's deployed? Generally speaking, 40" is more than enough to reach from side slung tank, around the neck, into the gob…with lots of slack to spare. Adapters not necessary.

What's the mounting on the tank, standard stage rigging? And where's it attached, hip and shoulder d-rings on a standard harness?

Are you using a Bp/W? What harness are you using and how is it rigged?

I would think at 6'5 the waist strap would be plenty high on your torso. If you rigged it to be at your waist and your reg sits near your shoulders then I could see 7ft not being long enough for you.

waist strap should sit at the waist regardless of height. Not to be rude, but how large are you around the chest/waist? Also a picture of your first stage setup would help us a little bit regarding orientation to try to give you a few extra inches.

at 6'-7", I understand your 7' hose dilemma.....

longer than 7' if doing restrictions and wanting the "conformist" configuration, maybe a 5' hose if not...

although not DIR, you possibly could implement a different "tuck point" such as on the chest strap. I use a 7' hose with a bolt snap on the hose positioned to attach on a harness d-ring, using a break away connection (snorkel keeper, o-ring, etc.) between them as a link. My diving is purely recreational, so you would need to evaluate an approach like that with your own diving..

You could also change the second stage on your pony rig to a reversible one so it comes from the left instead of going around your neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom