Flashlight Primary and Backup location/setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philly777:
Could you please advise on primary and backup flashlight DIR setup/location on your rig.
. . . this site has suggestions for lighting . . . Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers
Using the GUE link that Basking Ridge Diver provided, and adapting it to your specific request fro primary and backup flashlight setup:

BACKUP: Note in 'The Harness and Backplate' section, immediately below the first paragraph, in the right-most picture, the location of the backup flaslight - clipped with a butt-mounted bolt snap to the right chest D-ring, and the head held in place with a piece of inner tube or bungee The light in the picture is a Halcyon Scout (great light), which is a fairly large flashlight, but you can do the same with smaller back-up lights (e.g. the smaller Intova lights).

PRIMARY: Note also in 'The Harness and Backplate' section, in the third set of pictures - the 'three-across' - the location of the primary light, in this case a canister light mounted on the right waist strap and the light head mounted with a Goodman handle on the back of the left hand. You ask about a flashlight primary, and you can mount your flashlight primary on your left hand in a similar manner, using a Goodman glove / Goodman handle (Lights - Goodman Handles and Light Accessories - Northeast Scuba Supply Store). You do not need a canister light (although I prefer them for darker, and overhead, environments, I often dive with a Big Blue flashlight as my primary, mounted in a glove in daylight, open water environments).

Ditto.

clipped with a butt-mounted bolt snap to the right chest D-ring, and the head held in place with a piece of inner tube or bungee

What's the rationale for clipping it to the *right* chest D-ring instead of the left?

I've got my backup light clipped to a chest D-ring and held in place with a piece of inner tubing, but so far the left seems to work best for me. So, I'd like to hear why DIR specifies the right.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Here's a pic of my back up lights stowage; exactly as explained by everyone else. :)

e8ehema6.jpg

What's the rationale for clipping it to the *right* chest D-ring instead of the left?

I've got my backup light clipped to a chest D-ring and held in place with a piece of inner tubing, but so far the left seems to work best for me. So, I'd like to hear why DIR specifies the right.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

theres no specification. When I only have one backup light, I put it on the right just so it holds my dring in place and makes clipping off the long hose a little easier. It really doesn't matter though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom