Low viz diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawlings

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have written an Article about Low Visibility diving and I would like to share please visit my Blog KEN'S DIVE ADVENTURES and give it a read . I am not a writer so please be kind and this is my first Ever attempt please
in joy

You might find this post interesting:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/wreck-diving/485747-wreck-penetration.html#post7154461

[-]Low[/-] zero visibility do doubt contributed to the death of these two US Navy Divers.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...s-1-year-ago-finally-released-under-foia.html

Your section 4. Air Control / Air Management does not address the issue of being in such low visibility that you can’t see your SPG or AI computer. Although a dive may be planned for low visibility, there is no guarantee that it will not deteriorate to zero like in this case above.

I would encourage divers that regularly dive in these conditions to carry an independent source of gas in addition to an independent regulator. This can be done with a bailout/pony or using Progressive Equalization on doubles with the isolation valve normally shut. You also must be much less dependent on your buddy since you can so easily loose each other, especially when everything goes wobbly.

Last edited:
Ken, I went out last weekend to Lake James in NC. I went there to see if I could find a friends necklace pendant which was lost (I was told) about 6 months earlier. I went in 15 feet of water and let me describe the decent; 5' visibility was about 3', 10' visibility was 1 1/2' , 15'....NO VIS!!! Since I wasn't expecting zero vis, I sucked down some air before I calmed downed. I didn't find the pendant, and it was told by my friends wife that it was lost over 2 years ago!! The muck at the bottom was about 1 1/2 foot deep!

It's amazing how low viz can stress a diver and how is can start snow balling if you do not get it under control .You can see how if you don't check your SPG Frequently you can get in to a out of air situation and possibly loss contact with buddy

Last weekend I swam 1000' in blackout. Never lost my buddy, and shared air for about 800'. This was a training dive, and I have confidence I/we would react the same in a real emergency.

It all comes down to training, protocols, equipment and pre-dive planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a new diver & I didn't pass my AOD partially because of low visibility in Monterey. It did stress me out. However, your blog has some good pointers that I will attempt to practice to ready myself for my tests again out there. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a new diver & I didn't pass my AOD partially because of low visibility in Monterey. It did stress me out. However, your blog has some good pointers that I will attempt to practice to ready myself for my tests again out there. Thanks for sharing.

Good luck . Just remember stop, breath ,think . as long as you have air to breath you can solve most problems . remember your training and you will be fine

Back
Top Bottom