Rescue Diver course on Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jadr

New
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience taking PADI Rescue Diver on Roatan? Any recommendations? Looking for a serious, well run course.

Did it a few years ago with Mayan Divers, was serious and well run, what else specifically do you want to know?

Thanks guys. Nothing specific, just first hand recommendations. I didn't want to wind up taking a rubber stamp course.

Probably difficult to find one of those down there. Roatan/Utila is known for being a huge training center for diving, if you've been around it's very obvious that training is a major factor in Roatan, as you'll see signs everywhere at every dive shop advertising training like crazy, I've never been anywhere else where there was so much emphasis by dive shops selling training as there. Did AOW in Mexico, it was a joke, a rubber stamp like you called it, and specifically why we went to Roatan for Rescue.

Thanks Mike!
I've done a course at CCView dockside before, but not sure I'll be able to make it there this time. They were excellent.

Thanks Mike!
I've done a course at CCView dockside before, but not sure I'll be able to make it there this time. They were excellent.

You yourself know the quality and intensity of instruction at CCV provided by Patty Grier (at Dockside Dive Center since 1985). She was instrumental in original Course Design Curriculum for Rescue and many other PADI Courses. She wrote the book, so to speak, and also trains Honduran Bomberos (EMT) on island and the mainland.

Even if you decide to house at a less expensive option, Dockside would be a simple cab ride away for the short period of the course duration.

I was 50 years old when I took Rescue with Patty, and I can proudly say that it damned near killed me. :wink: (As well it should)

Funny part: jadr, as you probably know, many CCV divers are often seen lying motionless on sandy bottoms doing long term observations of critters. This common habit made the standard practical exercise of "distressed motionless diver on the bottom" quite problematic... I had six or so divers who were looking exactly like "rescue role players".

In later years, I assisted in training various Honduran DMs in Rescue and 02, but the translation to and through Spanish caused the DMs to begin all practice interactions loudly with the phrase, "I am medically responsible!"

Lost in translation, but they knew their craft.

Last edited:
I did the Rescue Diver course at Las Rocas and the Divemaster course at Bananarama (with Anja and Liber who are now at Mayan Divers). Looking back I have to say that the classes I had were very good.

I guess I could do the cab ride thing. I'm going to be based out of West End this time. Just hate dealing with cabs if I can avoid it. Do you remember how many days your course took?

Back
Top Bottom