Roatan shark dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skookumchuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading to CCV in a few weeks and would like to try the shark dive offered by Waihuka. Anyone have any advise? How much is it, is it worth it, what day does it go. Also wondering if CCV has internet access or should I leave the laptop at home?
Thanks in advance, Skook.

Pretty sure each and every and all of these thing would be answered with an Email to CCV, Hence eliminating differences from post to post with different times involved

Greetings,

I used Waihuka when staying with Subway Watersports on the North End. As far as I know, one of the only spots to dive for Caribbean Reef Sharks is Cara a Cara. I believe the majority of dive shops on Roatan use Waihuka as a third-party.

The operator provided a thorough briefing prior to boarding the 12-person boat, which took us 25 minutes from shore. The dive guides were thorough and communicated well on site. They did bait underwater, and permitted us to swim with the sharks several minutes after the food was gone and the frenzy dissipated.

It was worth it for my wife and myself. We didn't see sharks on any other dives on the North or South, where we spent the majority of our diving last August.

image.jpgfound it just ok..they do not allow anyone with a go pro camera to use it. claim it "agitates" the sharks.. i call bullsh*t on this. its ok for their local video person to video the dive and then try to sell it. i guess they feel that if tourist used go pro their video guy would lose sales..Did not matter to me as i do stills, but if i did use a go pro i would have told them on the spot that i am not going on their dive because of the stupid policy. my strobes put out a stronger rf signal while cycling than the little go pros do.

My avatar was taken on a dive there in ~'02--Cara a Cara---------Face to Face.......The 2 Italians had started it the ?year before......Great dive back then, have no idea what it's like now, 16 came in on us that day....35 mm wasn't too bad after all..:)

Pretty sure each and every and all of these thing would be answered with an Email to CCV, Hence eliminating differences from post to post with different times involved

So why cannot the OP ask their question here? I for one enjoy reading the responses here that if the OP emailed CCV I would never have gotten to read.

Just did that dive in April - had a blast. We have approximately 18-20 sharks hop in on our group. We were allowed to GoPro the experience. Would definitely do it again. I think we paid right around $100 per person.

CCV has internet access throughout the resort. If there enough people signed up for the Shark Dive, CCV will take the Reef Nut, which is a MUCH better (and bigger) boat than Cara a Cara's. The last I heard it was $75, but I could be wrong, NOT including the DVD.

I did that shark dive on my last trip to Coco View (about 8 yrs ago) and that dive was definitely the BEST diving/healthy reef I saw at Coco View. I'd never go back to Coco View as even back 8 yrs ago it appeared totally fished out, worn out due to being overdived, and the waters were pretty silty too. The lodgings/restaurant/dive op was fine, just the quality of the diving was weak, and that was years ago, before the lionfish plague struck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom