Seattle in Sept

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So my plans to visit and dive norway didn't work for sept. we are now looking to do Seattle instead.

I would like to get a bunch of dives in without breaking the bank on charters. And I will be with my wife and infant. So any good beach/shore spots i can head to and does any one wanna show me the sites?

I'll have my own gear but must rent tanks. I'm Tech/Full cave/Sidemount and an instructor, so not a newbie diver but I have never dove the area so i'm willing to work with someone to show me the ropes around seattle and area.

Hey there - check out NWdiveclub.com if you're looking for buddies up here. THere's an awesome community and plenty of people usually willing to take people out. Sept is a bit crazy for me, but feel free to ping me if you want to do Edmonds or mukilteo - nothing fancy, but its our local spots:D

There are many shore dives in the Seattle area and many divers who are quite willing to go diving to show off the area. In addition, plenty of shops to get fills and, honestly, a number of private fill stations if you happen to hook up with the right person. Lastly, many of us have way too much gear so often one can borrow tanks and other stuff.

The things to remember about diving in the Sound are:

a. We have tides and diving on a super low tide often sucks -- and we've had a lot of nasty lows in the middle of the day this summer.

b. The tides mean we also have current and the current means that some sites are NOT diveable at all times.

c. Visibility can be ugly all the way down -- or it can be great -- or it can be good in some layers.

Easy driving shore sites from Seattle -- north to south:

Mukilteo -- two sites -- one is pretty current sensitive -- lots of critters around the structures

Edmonds Underwater Park -- a shallow large dive park with HUGE ling cod and Cabazon -- current can be somewhat of an issue but generally diveable

Alki (West Seattle) -- several dive sites -- "The Coves" (1, 2 & 3) -- training sites that are often full of surprises -- GPOs, rockfish, nudis and who knows what else; "Junk Yard" -- not one of MY personal favorites but others love it -- at the western point of Alki -- Alki Pipeline -- great dive at the right time

Salt Creek State Park -- artificial reef with LOTS of rockfish. (parking fee of $10 or a $30 year pass good at many other sites)

Redondo -- one of my favorites -- just lots and lots of stuff hidden here and there -- just about all in "junk" that has been deposited there -- little to no natural structure

Three Tree Point

Tacoma -- Les Davis, Day Island Wall, Titlow -- Les Davis is NOT current sensitive, the others are VERY current sensitive

and the list goes on. There is a LOT of shore diving within 60 minutes of Seattle. Puget Sound Dive Sites -- Scott Boyd has a good list of sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom