Fuji FinePix S2 Pro OR Nikon D-100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldh2odiver

Registered
Reaction score
Well it's finaly that time. Time to go digital! I have been taking underwater photos for some time now and feel I have reached my goal using the Nikonos V. I first thought about going to a Nikon F4 or F5 housed but I was told by many pros to digital because it would be the thing of the future, so here I am turning to you, the people who use the cameras to ask which is a better camera to use? The S2 or D-100. If I get the D-100 I will put it in a Light and Motion Titan D-100 housing but if I get the S2 I will put it in a Subul. I have already done a lot of reaserch on both camera but want to see what the forum can come up with. Let me know, Thanks.

Come on in to the new Dark Side (the Oly 5050 being the original Dark Side) :eek:verlord:

I'm pleased so far with my S2. I haven't gotten it wet yet because I've been testing my Aquatica housing and all the ports. Good thing I've been testing b/c yesterday when I took the rig on a deep dive there was a slight leak at 90 feet and below which I think came from where the macro port attaches to an extension ring. Probably user error....

So my advice is to take your housing on several dives to test all the ports and extension rings, shallow and deep dives.

What swayed me to the S2 was that I could use my existing Sea & Sea YS-90DX strobes in TTL, which isn't possible with the D-100. But if you're used to shooting manually for everything, that may not be a problem for you. All the reviews I've read indicated that the images from the S2 sensor surpass those from the D-100 sensor. 200 ASA minimum on the D-100, whereas the S2 goes down to 100 ASA, which should reduce digital noise. Lens choices are the same so that's not a factor.

Chippy on this board went through the same camera choice a few weeks before I did, so he might chime in here.

Good luck.

Depending on how quickly you need the camera, it might be wise to wait a couple more months as well if you can since Nikon D70 and Fuji S3 is coming out in the next month or so. D70 is not better than D100 but it is not worse either and it is quite a bit cheaper. The S3 looks very promising as well but for now, you won't be able to use TTL underwater. Housings have been announced for both already so there should be some available in the next few months as well.
If I have to buy one right now, I think I would also prefer the S2 as well. However the camera and housing is quite a bit bulkier than the D100 though.

My money is on the the S2 as well.

It's a fantastic camera, topside as well, and I've been very impressed with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom