Most Dangerous Dives in the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I wonder how many people have actually died diving all of those locations together? Any is too many but I'll bet the number is low for the "10 most dangerous dives"

The list is absurd.

Of the ones in the list with which I am familiar or have personally dived, I don't consider them nearly as dangerous as other dives I have done, and I don't consider those other dives particularly dangerous. Some of the dives on their list are routinely done by brand new OW divers. Whether they should be doing those dives or not is open to question, but the fact remains that they do them regularly without incident.

I would do any dive on that list without hesitation. Give me a couple of minutes and I could give you a list of 10 dives I would either hesitate to do without more training and proper support or would not do at all.

The U-869 resulted in 3 deaths according to Shadow Divers...maybe it's claimed a few more since then, maybe not. Either way, it's got to be significantly fewer than the Doria has eaten over the years.

Egypt's Blue Hole/Arch passage might have some claim on a top ten site, because I think the official count is somewhere around 40 deaths. Not sure that makes it a dangerous dive, though, so much as it makes it one attempted by a lot of people who shouldn't.

The U-869 resulted in 3 deaths according to Shadow Divers...maybe it's claimed a few more since then, maybe not. Either way, it's got to be significantly fewer than the Doria has eaten over the years.

Egypt's Blue Hole/Arch passage might have some claim on a top ten site, because I think the official count is somewhere around 40 deaths. Not sure that makes it a dangerous dive, though, so much as it makes it one attempted by a lot of people who shouldn't.

The Blue Hole has claimed a surprising amount of divers. You can see the plaques of some of the deceased on the rock-walls as you enter the site through a wooden staircase. It's a little eerie... but the dive is actually a very relaxed and beautiful dive.

Dive conditions are rather benign and there are no "weird" down-currents or other strange water conditions, thus it appears to be a tantalizingly simple dive... drop down, swim through the arch and back out.

However, the top of archway that leads from the Hole out to the open sea is at 60 meters and is longer than most divers initially think - more like a tunnel than an arch - so it take a little longer to go through. I suspect that this miscalculation on depth and how long the tunnel actually is, leads to miscalculations with gas supply by single tanks divers who are not properly equipped and trained to dive in the extended range on air. They usually get narced and panic, run out of air, or tox out and then it goes from bad to worse.

Like you said... they are doing dives they shouldn't be doing.

Since he does not offer any Statistical information to the slideshow, i would think that this is mostly his personal preference.

And With that Obvious fact out of the way, my other would simply be.....he is afraid of cave/dark dives.

LOL, this guy hasn't been in any of them. Might have his master mechanic but more likely a cert from PADI for Master scuba diver. Then perhaps he trains at the gym on Saturdays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom