New SucbaPro Aladin Square already broke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckdiversam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased the new Aladin Square computer about a month ago. After 6 dives the low battery indicator came on. I figured that they simply shipped with a battery that had already been depleted. I went to the dive shop and had a new battery installed. I cut the computer on last night to retrieve my previous dive info and the thing kept cutting off on me. Then When I check the battery it shows low battery again (this is the first time it's been turned on since the new battery was installed). The screen will go blank and cut complexly off while i'm in the middle of doing something. I'm going to have to send it to ScubaPro for warranty repair but they the dive shop said it may take 4-6 weeks to get it repaired. I'm going to be stuck renting a computer for what's the peak dive season in the outer banks of nc. I'm pretty bummed out.

Did you buy it from your LDS? Have you asked them if they have a loaner you can borrow until it gets back? On a side note, have you tried SmartTRAK from ScubaPro? I started with a Subgear XP-10 and now I dive a Luna. I use SmartTRAK to upload all of my info from my computer. It's pretty cool to be able to see your dive profile on your computer and it is a free download on the ScubaPro website.

Good luck with your Square, hopefully it gets back faster than 4-6 weeks.

I've moved since I bought the computer. My new LDS will only rent me a computer since I did not purchase from them. There is a recall on the computers but my serial number is not one that is recalled.

I purchased scubapro computers for my kids that ended up having battery issues and my LDS replaced them for no charge.

Have had no issues with the new ones.

I've moved since I bought the computer. My new LDS will only rent me a computer since I did not purchase from them. There is a recall on the computers but my serial number is not one that is recalled.
Whoa! Something is not right here. Is the new LDS an authorized ScubaPro dealer? Did you originally buy the computer from an authorized ScubaPro dealer? Do you have a receipt for the purchase from that authorized ScubaPro dealer? If the answers are 'Yes', 'Yes', and 'Yes', you should have no problem.

And, even if you moved, have you contacted the dealer from which you purchased the unit?

Just because your unit is not part of the recall does not mean it is not defective. There apparently is a known battery issue with at least some production units of the model.

Last edited:
If you purchased this with a credit card, I would get them involved and take advantage of the coverage that most credits card companies offer.

Return the defective watch to the original shop (or Scuba Pro directly), and have your CC company refund you the money. At least engage them and see what they can do.

4-6 weeks is normal, almost too good to be true. I had my fins replaced with scubapro, not repaired, it took almost 1.5 months through a shop.

Once I had to send my oceanic computer back for repairs, took 2.5 months not including shipping time. http://youtu.be/089Z2fIHFkQ

I'd say, you are in for a long haul.

I don't know if you already know this but in this months diver magazine there is a recall ad for Aladdin squares, 003 serial numbers sold from March 2014.

Mine is not part of the recall. I was traveling for business and went my the LDS that I originally purchased the computer from and my only option is to send it in for warranty work. Since it's used I cannot exchange or return it. With that said the LDS is going to get a loaner from Scubapro sent to me so I can use it while mine is being serviced. The loaner takes one week to arrive so I had to rent a computer today for my dives.

I am a total Scubapro fan. I love their regs, wings, bcds, and wetsuits. That being said, after my experience sending in their Tec 2G or whatever it was called at least seven times, I have long since given up on their computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom