WAVES Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SKMoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I'd like to officially introduce the WAVES Project to all of you great folks at ScubaBoard.

As divers it won't surprise anyone here that SCUBA offers some major benefits for people with disabilities. The WAVES Project works to capitalize on these benefits and bring them to wounded veterans.

The relaxing nature of diving can be a real boon to those who are suffering from PTSD and other mental issues arising from service in a combat zone. Veterans who have suffered injuries, paralysis and amputations have reported that SCUBA has been key to feeling "free" from wheel chairs etc. Getting someone out of their chair and into a weightless environment grants them an opportunity to interact with the underwater environment with much fewer restrictions than they face in the normal day.

A note here from the author. Last weekend one of our newly certified divers was a former Army Combat Medic from the 101st. He's suffering from PTSD from tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. He told me after he completed the course that he felt he had finally found in SCUBA, an activity that helped. He's already making plans for our Advanced Open Water class, and looking toward becoming a Rescue diver as well. I can't tell you how proud I was to know that in some little way, I was able to help out.

The WAVES Project is made up of several instructors and dive masters who have also been certified by the HSA (Handicap SCUBA Association) to work with divers with disabilities. Many of us are Combat Vets as well.

Our Motto is:

• [*=1]Recover-Through Adventure

[*=1]Discover-Our Underwater World

[*=1]Rebuild-families and relationships

We take this motto to heart. Our program provides all instruction, equipment, transportation, etc to our wounded vets and a dive buddy (friend or spouse) used during our Open Water and Advanced Open Water classes at no cost to the vet, OR the buddy. Our instructors and dive masters all volunteer their time and personally support the costs they incur (eg, boat fees, fills, etc). The cost of the equipment, transportation, fills, etc for the vet is covered via external donations.

We are a new organization with our 1st year anniversary approaching quickly. From the start, support has allowed us to certify divers on a monthly basis and we have been fortunate to meet our goals. The Project staff have increased our goals for year 2. They already have enough applications to meet the new goals. We're getting more requests than we're able to support, and need your help.

We've started to expand our fund raising outreach. Until now we've been working with local dive clubs and various civic organizations. Yesterday we opened up a crowd source funding campaign to help with the cost of our next Open Water, and Advanced Open Water classes. The campaign can be found at this link.

https://www.gofundme.com/d6vtqg

The WAVES Project is based in So Cal, however we are working to expand our out reach and develop chapters on the east coast and the gulf.

More information on the WAVES Project can be found here. WAVES Project. Or contact me via PM here on SB.

I know many of the members here would love to help, but aren't financially able to. BUT I know some of you are able. So, won't you reach out and "help a warrior reach the water". Every donation, no matter the size, helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom