Diving with a single light, using the strobe focus lights as back up on a night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R-balljunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did a night dive tonight. My normal backup light is dead, no batteries. I didnt feel like running to the store to get a fresh set of C batteries. Well the dive ran long, really long. 29% nitrox at an average of 25 feet....1 and a half hours later, still in the water. About 3 minutes from exiting the water my sola ran out...my logic was before i got in the water I had the two LED focus lights on my strobes (D-2000) which are essentially back up sources for lighting. I have to say they provided more than adequate lighting to navigate comfortably out of the water.

Question posed. Can we qualify LED focus lights as the back up source? I know some folks have some pretty powerful focus lights out there.

Before having to crawl into my flame suit, this was a shallow walk in dive I've done hundreds of times and i had a dive partner with whopping dual 1400's shooting video on my hip the whole time. Enough excuses from me for not having a true back up...next time i will. please pardon my honesty.

Are you using the LED focus lights throughout the dive?

In open water, I don't really see why that would be an issue. Worst case is you signal your buddy and surface. Matching duration of your primary (or of the dive) may not be as much of a concern in open water.

There was no danger provided you weren't also wearing split fins and a jacket BC...

Seriously I've done this in relatively clear open water, not a problem. You also state you were diving in open waters that you know very well. No worries.

The only "dive lights" I carry on my frequent night dives are my two video Solas. They last 4-5 hours on the lowest setting (500 lumens). People topside think they are seeing a USO if I have them on medium power.

I also use my sola as primary for night diving, and the focus light on my ikelite strobe for back up in places like bonaire and GC. Has not let me down yet as long as fully charged before entry.
A single sola 500 provides more than enough light for coral reef night diving.

Question posed. Can we qualify LED focus lights as the back up source? I know some folks have some pretty powerful focus lights out there.
Not if you are using them as your primary light(s)!

I have used the target lights on my YS110s as my primary night dive lights for years. They burn for more than an hour so no issues. I keep a small ikelite PCa in my BCD pocket as a backup light.

I did a night dive tonight. My normal backup light is dead, no batteries. I didnt feel like running to the store to get a fresh set of C batteries. Well the dive ran long, really long. 29% nitrox at an average of 25 feet....1 and a half hours later, still in the water. About 3 minutes from exiting the water my sola ran out...my logic was before i got in the water I had the two LED focus lights on my strobes (D-2000) which are essentially back up sources for lighting. I have to say they provided more than adequate lighting to navigate comfortably out of the water.

Before having to crawl into my flame suit, this was a shallow walk in dive I've done hundreds of times and i had a dive partner with whopping dual 1400's shooting video on my hip the whole time. Enough excuses from me for not having a true back up...next time i will. please pardon my honesty.

My Inon D2000 strobes have 220 lumen focus lights that throw a nice bright beam and more than adequate for a dive light. There is often, condition dependent, no need for a back up light on a night dive. In fact, I have often dove at night with no light or just a little UK penlight. The reliability of a quality LED light, which I use a Dive Rite 500, is more than enough with the strobes asa back up.

N

There was no danger provided you weren't also wearing split fins and a jacket BC...

Ouch,

that hit too close to home :) call me a wussie, love my split fins. It seems this situation was a bit accidental on my part. Glad i took my UW setup with me. Also used the camera for underwater defense. This turtle got my heart rate going as it shot by me.

08-22-14NightDiveEmon26of27_zpsd6dc8319.jpg

Ouch,

that hit too close to home :) call me a wussie, love my split fins. It seems this situation was a bit accidental on my part. Glad i took my UW setup with me. Also used the camera for underwater defense. This turtle got my heart rate going as it shot by me.

08-22-14NightDiveEmon26of27_zpsd6dc8319.jpg
Turtle? Obviously not those juvie ninja gang guys. You really got to watch for the killer squidos. They sneak up behind you and cut your buddy off...

http://www.kengiffen.com/images/bonaire-2008/killer-squid

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom