SUEX DPVS - Dive in the Fast Lane!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Errol Kalayci

Contributor
Reaction score
SUEX dive propulsion vehicles (“dpv”) have changed the way we ocean dive in Florida. Having used DPV’s for over 20 years I understood their benefits of allowing us to go further while using less gas (divers typically experience sac rate reduction of 40%) and saving our bodies from CO2 build up and wear and tear on joints from swimming at depth. Further, proper use lowers stress before, during, while on deco and even post dive particularly for high current locations like SE Florida. It even helps keep divers together, provided they are properly trained and aware. It really sucks during a swim dive if you must try to go against the current for any reason rather than to be pulled effortlessly through it with a dpv!
Swim divers on a dive like the Hydro Atlantic, which is 300 feet long, are often limited to spending time in just one section of the wreck or making one circumnavigation. Divers using a dpv can cover the Hydro a number of times and quickly move from one section to another, which provides a great enhancement of the dive experience in addition to the benefits mentioned. However, in the past our dpv dives were limited due to the typical hour to 90 minute burn time that most DPV’s have, necessitating either shorter dives (thereby limiting the dive to say just the Hydro or a run between the Lowrance to the Renegade and even back) or a spare DPV which we would tow to allow us to cover more distance. Further, the DPVs were much heavier for the most part and were produced in a garage or still appeared to be made out of one. With SUEX, we have rugged, extremely well thought out, factory built, machines that are relatively light while offering various amounts of burn time.
I will start with exploration level SUEX dpvs and work down to the recreational as SUEX is not just for technical diving!
True Exploration Capability: My dive team’s personal favorite is the JOY37 equipped with a 4 blade prop. This set up gives us enough torque to pull any load we require in the ocean with 140 minute run time at full speed and almost 4 hours at more reasonable cruise. This unit has simply changed the way we dive and is truly an ocean exploration machine. At only 44 pounds, boat diving is easy. The JOY37 comes with digital battery readout for the 940Wh Li-ion battery so you know how much charge you have thereby removing guess work out of the equation and giving the diver some peace of mind. Using this model we have traversed from a wreck in 200fsw to one in 190fsw then in to 130fsw and performed deco while flying over reefs to wind up in 10 feet of water at our last stop which immensely increases our safety while allowing us to cover several miles of ocean. Moving into shallower water adds important safety as it limits interference with larger vessels, overly stimulated sharks and provides a fixed bottom rather than deeper water often moving fairly fast. This is simply a game changer and allows us to explore miles at a time of deep reef, wrecks or just clean up on lobster! It is worth every penny and will radically change your ocean diving!
Then there is the XK1, which is simply the gold standard for cave exploration. Depth rated to almost 700 feet and weighing in at only 55 pounds, it is much lighter than you would expect. Further, it offers a dual trigger and head snapping torque and amazing speed. The dual trigger is nice if you need to briefly run from cruise to full speed to do something rather than have a quick pause to adjust speed setting. The speed, torque and burn time are amazing with the XK1 which will run 100 minutes at 266’ per minute and the XK2 will double that burn time! Just for fun, I pulled 5 divers with their DPVs stowed and was keeping up with our 7th diver, can’t say it was comfortable for me or recommended but thought it would be fun to make a chain of dive monkeys and see how much it could pull. The XK1 of course can and is used for ocean exploration as well as the slightly heavier weight is not significant enough to be a deal breaker. Like the Joy37 the XK’s also have digital battery readouts with the 1340 and 2680Wh Li-ion batteries.
With SUEX, it is important to note the difference between a technical diving capable DPV and ones capable of exploration. The foregoing are all capable of exploration while the following are more traditional technical diving dpvs, recreational dpvs capable of technical diving or just pure recreational dpvs.
Technical Diving: The JOY14 has a depth rating of 390’, adjustable speed (max 200’/minute), 49 pounds of thrust, 31 inches in length and weight of only 44 pounds making it a great technical diving tool. With hour plus of burn time is a very popular scooter. This model priced between the Joy7 and Joy37 has greatly increased thrust over the Joy7 and its ability to match any speed up to 200feet/minute makes this unit very capable for technical diving. The cruise control and camera attachments come in handy as does the light weight making handing it up to the boat easy! The only difference between this dpv and the JOY37 is the battery; the JOY14 has a Nimh 370Wh battery while the JOY37 has the 940Wh Li-ion and digital readout, etc.
Recreational with Technical Diving Capability: The next step down is the JOY7, with a 260’ depth rating, 2 speeds (max 180’/minute), 38 pounds of thrust and weight of only 41 pounds this unit is really intended for recreational diving (including doubles) but has been used by many for technical diving here in the USA and across the pond. A very attractive price causes many divers to buy 2 of these so their visiting buddy will have one. Further, many divers will buy one as a backup tow behind to extend their range while using a Joy14 or Joy37 as primary. In my experience, this is most often this is presented to the boss (wife) as a package deal of his and hers as she can pick blue, white or yellow.
Pure Recreational: The JOY2 is depth rated to 260’ and enjoys a burn time of 60 minutes at 164’ per minute. Weighing in at only 30 pounds with only 1 speed and much lower torque, this unit is a very affordable single tank recreational DPV. The quality and craftsmanship is amazing for so a low priced unit and it simply blows away any competition. For fun during a demo I used this dpv on a single tank dive and towed the JOY7 around effortlessly behind me.
Availably of Units, Parts, Service and Training in the USA: SUEX units are in stock and available in the USA as is service and parts. With rare exception, any needs you have can be serviced here in the states. Units are available for Demo purposes and for sale. The dpvs have been used by WKPP for many years as well as by many cave and ocean divers and explorers. My 3 young girls even love the JOY2 and ride them around in the pool and down in the keys while free diving.
Any diver will benefit from a SUEX, isn’t it time you “Dive in the Fast Lane!”
For more information on any unit, training or for pricing please check out www.tdsdivers.com and email me at errol@tdsdivers.com

Back
Top Bottom