a trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler

Contributor
Reaction score
Things i learned in roatan:

Taca has helpful employees sometimes. But usually they prevfer not to. If you see your bag enter the plane in Roatan do not assume it will emerge in San Pedro Sula. Also if you board a plane in Roatan with a ticket to San Pedro Sula, you may have to get off in La Ceiba so that someone else can get on while you gwt to take a later flight.

The best way to get a lost baggae form is to be connecting to Continental. The Continental agent will yell at the TACA people until they give you one.

They do have whale sharks. They can be seen on the same dive with seahorses and turtles. Toadfish are mythical creatures that can cause you to fall well behind your group if you heed their siren call. But you won't find one. Lotsa big groupers if you hit the right site. No fish if you hit most of the sites off Anythony Key side of the island. Because of weather we were bussed to south? side of island one day. Fish were there. Liked these dives the best.

I don't have the freudian thing about swim throughs. They leave me cold when done in groups of 15 swimming single file. Downright nervous when deep (mary's place) and you exceed MOD and have inexperienced divers before and behind you and a bit scary when you hit no viz (spooky somethin) and overheads. Would enjoy swimming the cuts if i was by myself or with a buddy and could poke along at my own pace.

Argentina Grill was excellent the first time we went, but their credit card machine had broke. They were closed the next day. We went again a day later. All new staff. Tour boat group of 20+ broght the place to a standstill. Wife ordered tenderloin - was brought a raw Filet Minon cut which the waiter insisted was tenderloin- bad sign at a steak house. Chimicurri was tasteless. Flan was still good. Wife got sick the next day. Heard a rumor there had been a change of ownership.

Anthony's Key (AKR) was fine. good enough food. a couple times quite good. i wouldn't call shore diving "unlimited" - only open from 3-9 PM. If you are a sea sick prone shore diver traveling with a group of boat divers you will be disappointed. You will have to swallow your lunch and :bounce: :bounce: ride the boats - which are quite nice. Stayed in a non-AC on the key and really liked it. Breeze blowing all the time. bought a mug at the gift shop and didn't have to drink ciffee and tea in paper cups at my room.Didn't get to do the Barbarretta trip becuse the weather went south - ahh came out of the north :cheeky: .

AKR is classy. Wife and I arrived a day before our group and they were not expecting us ( the LDS which told us they had arranged all this is going to hear from us :zap1: ) . AKR just happened to be at airport for other people when we arrived so we were not stranded and they found us a room for one night. Got in an extra day of diving.

Tried to price out a DIY trip to West end using reasonable assumptions - no flop houses, three meals and 3 dives per day. Don't think I'd save much over the resort pricing.I am in no hurry to go back tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom