looking for recommendations on SSI instructor training (not in asia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
anyone have any recommendations for a high quality SSI training facility here in the western hemisphere. i have been searching and emailing a wack of places. seems extremely hard to find a decent ssi shop that runs an ITC. hoping to find one in a warm destination. i have been looking at the caribbean, mexico, florida etc but it doesn't necessarily have to be a tropical location.

i can't believe how many shops are listed on the ssi web site that don't actually teach any ssi courses let alone run any ITC's.

only found two so far worth considering. Hall's in florida.....but the prices seem a bit on the high side to put it politely. and Tropical divers on Bonaire. they seem like a great choice but i can't seem to be able to make my schedule work with theirs so far.

other opinions / recommendations are greatly appreciated. thx !!

I think the district sales manager for Canada is Pete Oliver (519-835-1985. That might be the best way to start. I looked at the SSI website and there doesn't seem like much happening around Ontario.

thx for that info (i will def hang on to that) but i don't think the canadian rep could help with finding a ITC training facility outside canada.
although i am not totally set on looking at tropical destinations, i think i have resigned myself to the fact that i will have to leave the country.

Check with: Dive Professional Training | Dive BVI - [user]VGDiver[/user] here - Jeff McNutt - runs it. No idea if they have an ITC planned.

It's warm, they're a great bunch of people but Virgin Gorda is kind of pricey - although I was interested in villas not inexpensive training lodging.

Maui Dive Shops are SSI but I don't think they teach that advanced - most of their courses are at the tourist dive level.

the lack of response is a sad but very telling indication of the general outlook when it comes to SSI pro level training. i am sure of i had asked the same question about PADI i would have more recommendations than i can possibly use.

i'm starting to believe a better option (although more expensive and a longer process) may be to get my instructor rating through an agency other than ssi and do a crossover. i had considered doing this previously but in the end i had decided it was not the best option. but maybe i have no choice. or at the least maybe it gives me a lot more flexibility on when and where to do the course.

well it looks like a crossover may be what i might have to do. i have emailed a dozen ssi shops in the past month or so. most of which won't answer emails and the of the ones that do, most don't even run ITC's. what a shame. i do have a couple of ssi options left but that really limits flexibility

so now my next decision......do i go away to a destination and do a typical group course or do i bring someone here to do a one on one course. both are viable options that i have looked into already. the second option will probably be a lot cheaper from what i have seen so far. not sure if a private course would be a better option though. perhaps training with a small group would actually have more benefits.

the search contniues......

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 08:27 AM ----------

Check with: Dive Professional Training | Dive BVI - [user]VGDiver[/user] here - Jeff McNutt - runs it. No idea if they have an ITC planned.

thx btw......i did get in touch with Jeff. they do run ITC'S. just waiting to here back on details to see if it may work for me. thx again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom