Mid-September 4 day weekend dive suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hollieag02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have a long weekend coming up and were thinking Caribbean. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

I've heard coral spawning is pretty cool in Bonaire that time of year.

You're going to burn a full day each way getting there mid-Sept. from DFW. 2 stops and $850pp. You also need to do the BMP orientation the next morning b4 you can dive so that will mean you'd be starting to dive around 10:30AM on Sat. And having to stop mid-Sunday afternoon.

Capturebn.jpg

I used Sep. 12-15th since you didn't specify.

Grand Cayman is 7 hrs, one connection and $650pp. 2+ hrs. of that each way is a layover in MIA. Arriving at noon.

Comfort Suites or the Marriott (nicer) are 2 miles from the airport. You could be shore diving that afternoon at Sunset House or Turtle Reef. Nice thing about the return flight is it's at 1PM so you could dive up to Sunday night safely. Or even stay at Sunset House, they have 3 nt. packages. http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort/rates-packages/

Capture.jpg

More of a hurricane risk in the Caymans though next month. And everything there is pricey.

Something in the middle is Curacao - 50mi. from Bonaire so maybe the coral spawns there also - IDK. 2PM arrival so if you stayed in the right area you could be diving late Friday afternoon - there's no orientation on Curacao. A place like ScubaLodge puts you downtown on a shore dive. Or Atlantis Apts/Diving.

Capturecu.jpg

I know all these ^ places if you need more info.

I'd recommend you fly to Ft. Lauderdale, take a rental car down to Key Largo, dive 2 2-tank trips/day with Rainbow Reef Dive Center (or similar) to get the most dives in for your short time, and I hope keep airfare and travel times down.

If the weather looks good, you aren't too prone to sea sickness on boat trips, they have openings and you're willing to take a chance of weather canceling your dives, why not take a trip to Morehead, North Carolina, hop on the boat with Olympus Diving (haven't dove out there yet, but have been researching it a bit for the future)? From what I understand it's all wreck diving, but imagine diving with the sand tiger sharks. Rent 100 cf nitrox tanks so you can stay down longer perhaps? Deep. Have you got AOW and Nitrox cert.'s?

Well after further searching it appears not all these places have nonstop flights however Cancun and Coz are easy to get to and there are do many deals! Nassau also. Certain Days to Puerto Rico.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 09:39 PM ----------

Oh drrich2 has and excellent idea also!

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

Belize is also offering non stop directs at this time of year from DFW.

---------- Post added August 30th, 2014 at 09:52 PM ----------

Wow as I look through these dive specials they REALLY want you to stay 7 nights. Interesting because I am abt to book for Bonaire in March and while 7 nights are great they are not so sure I can be accommodated for an additional night....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom