DIN regulator coming loose underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had an interesting day yesterday. I was gearing up for a dive off my kayak and had hung my sidemount bottle off the side while I got into my harness and clipped in my pony. When I came around to clip in my sidemount it wasn't there. Apparently I didn't fully engage the tether to the kayak and the movement caused it to disconnect. Long story short, after swimming back to shore and collecting another tank I retrieved my lost tank/regulator at a depth of 61'. When I turned the valve on to use it there was a blast of HP air. The second time I tried it I looked and a jet of HP air was coming from the small vent hole on the tank valve. Apparently the regulator DIN wheel was loose by about 1/2 to 3/4 a turn. A quick tightening and the HP leak was solved. The 2nd stage sounded very funny (wet) and breathed horribly until I had given it a good purge. After that it worked per normal and I used that tank to tow my kayak most of the way back to shore (too many tanks to come back in aboard the kayak).

I had tested the tank and regulator before setting out in the kayak and it worked fine with no leaks. I had closed the valve for the paddle out and left it charged (I think). I had planned on turning on the valve after clipping in, so it sank with the valve off. Has anyone had an uncharged tank/regulator loosen like this with depth?

It's pretty certain that water got into the 1st stage and then through the hose into the 2nd and that is why the initial gurgling sounds and poor performance. Needless to say the reg. is getting a good overhaul/cleaning.

I've never had an un-charged regulator at depth. Everything get turned on and tested topside. All stages that aren't being breathed get periodically turned back on to make sure they stay charged.

I've never had an un-charged regulator at depth. Everything get turned on and tested topside. All stages that aren't being breathed get periodically turned back on to make sure they stay charged.
+1 protocol for me is to charge the pony before the dive and check on it every 20-30 minutes. If the button gauge is not showing a full charge, open the valve and recharge. Much better than rebuilding the 1st stage

Definitely try to keep them charged. But, real life happens and sometimes regs get bumped and are depressurized.

Good for you, FWIW mine wasn't supposed to be uncharged at depth either. Doesn't help with my question -- which was answered by the first poster.

Good for you, FWIW mine wasn't supposed to be uncharged at depth either. Doesn't help with my question -- which was answered by the first poster.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. A long time ago it used to be procedure to swap tank regs underwater. While it's not a great thing to do, it's not going to kill your reg. Just make sure it get a full dis-assembly and cleaning.

Edit- one more thing.... you need to blow out all the hoses including the HP. Let the SPG dry out too. If you have any silica gel packs, put some in a plastic bag with the SPG to help make sure it's water free.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. A long time ago it used to be procedure to swap tank regs underwater. While it's not a great thing to do, it's not going to kill your reg. Just make sure it get a full dis-assembly and cleaning.

It's a SP Mark 5, super simple to overhaul. I was just surprised that it was loose underwater and wondering if the pressure differential could have caused the loosening. Apparently it can. Really illustrates the reason for keeping the regs charged while at depth. The tank dropping was the first of two snapbolt 'failures' that day. The second was a 5# weight I had clipped (and walked to the water with it dangling on my D-ring) that came loose and disappeared on my swim out. Good thing I had an extra weight in the kayak to use as a marker for my circular line search :shakehead:. BTW when I recovered the tank and the tether the snapbolt was fine.

I was taught like this in tec dive.

On the few occasions I've had a SM or deco tank hanging on a line, there are two snap bolts on the hang line, one for the neck clip and one for mid-tank clip, so it's harder to lose a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom