How to properly measure inflator hose.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Where do you take the measurements when you are talking about the length of the inflator.

Is this a 16" or is it just the length of the hose at 13"?

CAM008412.jpg

I'm sure somebody will tell us, but I gotsta axe you... Why is that a question?

(I suppose it depends upon if you measure it~ along the top or instead from the bottom starting at the base. Most gals will go with the first method while guys usually default to method #2. Experts say that it's really more important to know how thick it is. Greater volume through wider hoses.)

13 or 16? I hear that 6 is average. Whatever makes you happy, I would guess. Many in Europe measure-up differently because they're in millimeters.

That would be a 16 inch hose needed. You need to add some for the connection and short run to the 1st stage. 13 is not going to be long enough unless the inflator is situated in the middle of the wing or you might get away with it for doubles since the left post is closer.

Doc I have to admit, I have no idea what you are talking about. No drinking and posting! :)

Jim, thanks. I am pretty sure you are referring to the LP inflator hose. I am talking about this inflator/corregated hose.

I feel it is a little short. The inflator mechanism itself does not pass all the way through my bungee loop on my chest D ring. So I capture the loop with the LP hose when I attach it to the inflator.

I was considering ordering a new corregated hose and wanted to make sure I was ordering the correct one. The hose as pictured above is 13" and I would like to add an additional two inches to the overall length of the inflator assembly. Obviously with this description, the corregated hose length I am looking for would then be 15".

My question was more related to overall, when I see comments about the length of inflators, I was wondering how they are measured.

Doc I have to admit, I have no idea what you are talking about. No drinking and posting! :)

Jim, thanks. I am pretty sure you are referring to the LP inflator hose. I am talking about this inflator/corregated hose.

I feel it is a little short. The inflator mechanism itself does not pass all the way through my bungee loop on my chest D ring. So I capture the loop with the LP hose when I attach it to the inflator.

I was considering ordering a new corregated hose and wanted to make sure I was ordering the correct one. The hose as pictured above is 13" and I would like to add an additional two inches to the overall length of the inflator assembly. Obviously with this description, the corregated hose length I am looking for would then be 15".

My question was more related to overall, when I see comments about the length of inflators, I was wondering how they are measured.

Hi Keith, Looks like Tobin's DSS 13 inch inflator. I found it too short as well. What I did is replace it with a Zeagle 16 inch hose and Zeagle BX inflator and am quite happy with the result. I did not like the Dive Rite inflator that came with my DSS wing, but I believe the Zeagle corrugated hose will work with the Dive Rite inflator as well.

Before settling on the Zeagle corrugated hose I tried ones from Scubapro, Dive Rite and one from Scubatoys and did not like any of them.

13". This is what you measure for hose length - not counting the inflator. Coincidentally it's the one mentioned in the previous post.

576.jpg

The physical length of the hose, not including the parts attached....

Looks like Tobin's DSS 13 inch inflator. I found it too short as well.

Same here. I've been diving a Torus 35 since before they were commercially available (mine's one of the prototypes). The first thing I ever did was replace the 13" inflator hose with a 16". Been happy with the wing ever since ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't get the problem. If you put on a fully assembled BC and find that the inflator hose rides too high on your shoulder, you should be able to "eyeball" how much longer it needs to be to be where you would like to have it. Then take your BC to your LDS and ask them to replace it with one that has the additional length you like. You will probably have to replace the LP inflator hose as well since it attaches to the auto inflator at the far end of the corrugated hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom