Speared some HUGE HOGS only about 10 miles out *PIC*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TampaScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Speared a 19" and a 20" hog out of Fort Dasoto about 10 miles out. We found an amazing ledge that didn't seem to end. There were undercuts as deep as 10 feet! TONS of life in this area and would be good JUST for diving.

These two guys were tricky, they hid in the ledge and I just laid on the sand in front of the ledge and just waited. One I shot through the back of the gills through the mouth and he almost swam away with my shaft, which would have sucked because viz was about 15 feet. Luckily he grounded himself and drug the spear in the sand and I caught up to him.

10672240_961097582676_4008138113215953791_n.jpg

My boat is small so I generally stay in the 7-12 mile range off Anna Maria. Got my limit on 1 dive last weekend. Not as big as yours but just as tasty. :wink:

Attachments

• 20140824_183359[2].jpg
    20140824_183359[2].jpg
    41 KB · Views: 264
My boat is small so I generally stay in the 7-12 mile range off Anna Maria. Got my limit on 1 dive last weekend. Not as big as yours but just as tasty. :wink:

haha yea they are WAY more tasty than grouper I think! You had a pretty good catch!

I had hog fish for the first time when I went to Florida earlier this year, had never heard of it before. It is now my new favorite fish, just can't find it in Tennessee.

Steve

NOOOOO!!!!... I think you found one of my spots me and a buddy go to. When I don't spear we use reels and have pulled up some nice fish from there, if it is where I am thinking you went or close to it. There are 3 drops around there and a large object of some sort made of metal.

I was thinking about Anna Maria because there is a spot that I wanted to try out there from looking at the charts that I think might hold some tasty fish. I am always looking at going on the weekends I am free. I have to see about getting a new speargun though as mine is about EOL.

^hahahhaa! Hey that ledge is big enough for the two of us :wink:

I'd honestly just like to go back to dive it, so much life!

I'd be happy to join.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Went back and have officially named that spot "HOLY MOLY" lol.

Friend caught another 20" hog... The ledge seriously does not seem to end. Found a sea turtle chilling under one ledge.

When are we going? My friend does not have time right now and is doing tournaments with his boat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom