Flying on Monday morning after diving weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vindobona

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys,

I'm in a tricky situation and would need your opinion and advice.

Next weekend, I'm going for my AOWD course. As you know, this means that I'll be doing 5 dives in these 2 days (with at least one deep dive). Everything is arranged and I'm really looking forward.
Only problem: I recently got informed that I have to fly (job-related) on Monday early in the morning :( . My flight is at 6:35 AM, and assuming that my last dive on Sunday will end at about 5 PM, the interval between the dive and the flight will only be 13-14 hours.

Do you see any risk in that? Is this interval too short, even if I do no-deco dives only (with 3 dives on Saturday and 2 dives on Sunday)?

I know this situation is less than ideal, but there are 2 factors that might make it slightly better:
- I'll be diving in a lake 460m/1500ft above sea level.
- My flight on Monday is only 1.5 hours long.

Looking forward to your evaluation. Thanks!

It's a calculated risk, as you no doubt know. Have you reviewed previous threads discussing similar questions?

Better yet, since you are paying for an AOW course, why not ask your instructor for an opinion and explanation and use it as a learning experience?

For me, 12 hours would be plenty.
If your course is anything like mine was, then the last dive on Sunday will be the compass/nav dives, which can be very shallow and short. Not even sure I would consider it a real dive. Overall, most of the dives were short and the deep and night dives were on Saturday.
Don't assume anything though, ask the instructor for the plan and if you can start early and or put the shallowest/shortest dives last.

The risk calculation is still yours to make.

(what are the chances the flight will be on time? :wink: )

Last edited:
Did the instructor tell you last dive would complete at 5 or is that just your guess?

I seems kind of late to me. I would expect the last dive to be complete more like 2 or 3.

For me, 12 hours would be plenty.
If your course is anything like mine was, then the last dive on Sunday will be the compass/nav dives, which can be very shallow and short. Not even sure I would consider it a real dive. Overall, most of the dives were short and the deep and night dives were on Saturday.
Don't assume anything though, ask the instructor for the plan and if you can start early and or put the shallowest/shortest dives last.

The risk calculation is still yours to make.

(what are the chances the flight will be on time? :wink: )

Thanks a lot for the advice! I will kindly ask the instructor to do the shorter and shallower dives on Sunday.

Did the instructor tell you last dive would complete at 5 or is that just your guess?

I seems kind of late to me. I would expect the last dive to be complete more like 2 or 3.

5 was just a wild guess from my side. Sooner would be better of course :) I will inform the instructor about my issue and hope that he will understand, and finish as soon as possible.

I heard following differentiation:
14 hours minimum after any dive
18 hours recomended for most not deep dives
24 hours the best and safe for rec dives
Mostly sure that your deep dive will be Sunday morning the first one.
And it should be done before 12PM.
Verify with your instructor that dive after Sunday 12Pm will be pretty shallow (less than 25ft).
It also depends how good your phisical condition. Fat releases nitrogen slowly.
But final discussion of cause should be with instructor.

Multiple dives over a weekend and then flying the next morning.....
:(
I always make sure I do not fly for 24 hours after my last dive. "Plan your dives and dive your plan." I would dive a day earlier or fly a day later.

Be safe

I wouldn't do it. 23 hours I'd let it slide, but not 12. DAN says 18 hrs for repetitive dives over 1 or more days. My computer algorithm says 24 hrs. The guidelines are there for a purpose.

I'm a total conservative when it comes to bends. My job is certainly not worth the risk. If travel was unavoidable, I wouldn't dive. It sucks missing the dive, but so does becoming a paraplegic.

I just picture myself in a decompression chamber, unable to move my legs, thinking "why did I listen to those guys on Scubaboard.com?"

Last edited:
1. Ask the instructor to do the deep dive on Saturday. All the other dives will be shallow.
2. Ask the instructor to do the skills on Sunday with you first. Once you are done with the skills - get out of the water. This way you will have 2 shallow short dives on Sunday and flying after 12 hours should be fine. If you will have to be waiting underwater for something, just ascend to 5-6 m/15-20 feet and stay there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom