Tautog - Any good recipes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Balboa

Reaction score
I cannot find any recipes that interest me which includes this fish. I would like to do some spear fishing for some of these guys this summer, but only if I can find a suitable use for them involving my taste buds.

Does anyone have any good recipes? I know there are a few stew and chowder recipes using this fish. Is it a good fish to eat sashimi style?

Sashimi - Not really. Regarding other recipes, well, how do you like your fish (other than raw)? Given that it is firm, white fleshed meat, you could look for Red Snapper or Monkfish recipes and probably substitute quite nicely.

Let me know how it works!

gj62:
...how do you like your fish ...?
That about sums it up, the fish presents well in a number of standard cooking techniques; baking, grilling, & I bet even boiling up "Door County" style.
If it's a bit oily, it'll probably smoke nicely.

Try using it like you would tuna fish in a tuna salad sandwich. The crab-like taste of it is good!!

livestodive:
Try using it like you would tuna fish in a tuna salad sandwich. The crab-like taste of it is good!!

The Delaware Chad have a recipe that may work with the oily Tautog. Spice the fresh fish and wrap in newspaper. Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the shad and enjoy eating the paper!

BILLB:
The Delaware Chad have a recipe that may work with the oily Tautog. Spice the fresh fish and wrap in newspaper. Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for 35 minutes. Remove the shad and enjoy eating the paper!

billb, that is just plain funny. i took a cooking class in ny. i asked the instructor the same Tautog question and he suggested any stew recipe. he was not impressed with the fish. so there is another idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom