Naui air and Nitrox tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Is it possible to switch between the Naui air and nitrox table just by using the end of dive letter group if your diving air and nitrox the same day ? For example, if my end of dive letter group on the Naui Ean36 table was a "H", would I also be considered and "H" diver on the Naui air tables ?

The question is why would you change gases during same diving day. Physics alone should answer this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with Naui nitrox tables, but you could simplify it by using the EAD with the standard table. Then you'd be golden! But I'm not an instructor or anything, so maybe wait for someone more knowledgeable to give a definitive answer.

The question is why would you change gases during same diving day. Physics alone should answer this.

Availability of gas!

Last week I used EAN32 for a dive on a wreck at 24M followed by a second dive to 10M using air

My question to the OP, do NAUI not supply EAD tables as surfinusa555 mentioned, I know that PADI did when I took my Nitrox course 10 years ago

You may only have one tank of nitrox.

As long as you know the ead of the mix you are diving which is fairly straight forward then yes you can dive just using an air table.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 10:59 PM ----------

It's a straight forward formula, learn it and then write it down in your log book for when you don't have an ead table handyZ

Is it possible to switch between the Naui air and nitrox table just by using the end of dive letter group if your diving air and nitrox the same day ? For example, if my end of dive letter group on the Naui Ean36 table was a "H", would I also be considered and "H" diver on the Naui air tables ?

Yes, but it results in a lower depth on the air table. This is called the EAD or Equivalent Air Depth for the nitrox dive. Using the EAD for the dive time you will arrive at the same group on the air table. If NAUI doesn't have a table you can still find the EAD by scanning across the row for H group on the air table. If you don't find the exact time find the two depths that bracket your dive time. We can calculate the EAD from the two depths and two bottom times.

For example, using the PADI tables, an EAN36 dive to 60 feet for 35 minutes puts you at group H. Going to the air table and scanning across group H for 35 minutes we find 37 minutes for 40 feet and 28 minutes at 50 feet. This is (50 - 40) ft / (37 - 28) min= 10 / 9 ft/min. 35 minutes is closer to 37 minutes so we calculate (37 - 35) min x 10 / 9 ft/min = 20 / 9 or 2.2 ft. Since 35 minutes lies between 40 and 50 ft we will add our 2 ft to 40 ft and get 42 ft which exactly equals the 42 ft from the EAD table. Of course, you could just use the next higher depth which is 50 feet since 35 minutes lies between 40 and 50 feet.

Last edited:
I have the EAD tables, it was just something that I wondering about.

Yes, but it results in a lower depth on the air table. This is called the EAD or Equivalent Air Depth for the nitrox dive. Using the EAD for the dive time you will arrive at the same group on the air table. If NAUI doesn't have a table you can still find the EAD by scanning across the row for H group on the air table. If you don't find the exact time find the two depths that bracket your dive time. We can calculate the EAD from the two depths and two bottom times.

This method should only be used to find EAD. You should not jump from one gas table into the middle of another gas table. Complete the dive using all three tables for the particular mix you're using. So, if you're diving air and then doing a repetitive dive on nitrox get the RNT on the air table. Then, add that to your ABT on the nitrox table to find your NDL and new group for the second dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom