Roatan in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My diving buddy and I are planning our first dive vacation. Roatan's CoCo View in Nov 2004.

As usual, I've read all of the current posts on CCV and Roatan. It really sounds like a great adventure. Any tips you've got are greatly appreciated.

What kind of exposure protection do we need? I can rent a 3mm shorty there, but I'm tempted to purchase myself a 3mm fullsuit and maybe a hood before the trip. My intent is to max out my diving, but I'm fairly easily chilled. Is a 3mm warm enough for six days of constant diving at this time of year?

Our spouses are going, but they will only be OW divers, and more interested in the beach than getting in the dives I think. Curt and I will be AOW divers, and I'm planning to have my Rescue completed by then if it all works out.

In Belize last month (pretty much the same water temp, 78 to 80) I dove in a 1MM, no hood, and had no problems. My wife wore the same, but got slightly chilled. I think a 3MM, no hood would serve you just fine.

Check out http://www.roatan.com/weathermain.htm for more details...

I concur. A 3mm full suit without hood should keep you comfy all week. The last time I was there, we did 20+ dives in a week with no problems.

Wijbrandus:
My diving buddy and I are planning our first dive vacation. Roatan's CoCo View in Nov 2004.
-snip-
Our spouses are going, but they will only be OW divers, and more interested in the beach than getting in the dives I think. Curt and I will be AOW divers, and I'm planning to have my Rescue completed by then if it all works out.

Here's how to encourage sunbathers to dive---

I've brought a non-diver to CoCoView. She never even thought of diving- just needed a break. By the end of the week she was certified and hunting for critters!

Many find the ease and comfort of the shore dive to be exclusively captivating. There is so much to see, so many sedentary (easily re-located) niche creatures, the Prince Albert wreck- It is an easy diver's swimming pool.

Most find it more relaxing and gentle than any boat dive- even from CCV's well appointed boats- lots of room and center moon wells and all. There is the ease of slowly walking out on the sand strip to 4' of water, putting on your mask and flips- then off to the aquarium.

I suggest that you use this as soon as you arrive (and often) as an inclusive activity, then I'm sure you'll see the beach bunnies go off on their own for their own shore dives! :sappy:

The exit is kind of pleasant, too. a short walk up on the sand- leave your tank on the shore bench if you don't want to carry it- then the shower is but 60 paces away across the hard sand.

This is a stunning and relaxing night dive as well. The easy to find landmarks underwater will tell the aware diver where they are at any minute of their dive. After a few dives from the shore at CoCo View, you wont even look at your compass or depth guage- you'll know where you are.

Sunbathers are advised to slather themselves with DEET at all times. It is one hell of a suntan oil, no SPF whatsoever. My SO always brings her own beach towel.

if you are easily chilled, you should at least bring a hood - either thin neoprene or polartec. You might consider a sleeveless shorty over a full suit. After a week of diving you will get colder than you expect and i find it good to start layering before the cold sets in.

Last week, i used a hooded polartec vest with a 3mm full suit and 6mm booties. my wife used a hooded 3mm vest with her 3/2 suit and booties.

Yeah, even though the waters are warm year-'round there, if you're easily chilled - a 3 mil LONG will be a good idea. Shorties just leave too much skin exposed for possible injury. Divers Direct is a SB sponsor, and they can get you one for $80. And a light hood or beanie will help.

AND - wear a good cap on the surface intervals. Wind on wet hair will suck that heat out in a hurry.

don

I spent a week at CocoView in Nov 03. Did 22 dives in a 3/2 shorty and had no probs
whatsoever. I believe a 3mm full would be plenty comfortable even if you run a little
cool. As Dandy Don says, wear a good cap on the surface intervals, but also a windbreaker would have been handy at times as well. (i didnt have one)
You guys have a great time, you WILL love it.

Always a risk. I wonder if Travel Insurance policies cover cancellations because of threat of hurricanes...?

:wierdo:

I just got back from Grand Cayman, Belize and Cozumel. Water temps were 79 at each spot. I have a full 3mm suit and got chilled each day. I normally dive in 50 degree water in the PNW so I'm not really too sensitive to cold water but next time I go to the tropics I'm bringing a hood. I may even pick up a vest if folks think the hood isn't quite enough. I'm not really sure how much a hood helps. All the dive masters I dove with had either 3/5 full suits or full suits with vests plus hoods. They were all dressed much warmer than the divers.

I had a couple dives were I was really ready to get out of the water because I was chilled. I don't want that to happen again. Ever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom