Thinking about going to Pensacola Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarrenZ

The Ultimate Bad Example
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey locals, dive shops, and people with experience with the area, I'm thinking about visiting the Pensacola area in early October is it worth hauling my dive gear to dive the first weekend in October? I would love to do the Oriskany but I am up for any ideas for area charters boat trips or shore dives basically anything wet. Let me know which shows or boats to contact.
Thanks all.

I have family in the area and have yet to haul our dive gear. There are some wrecks worth diving but otherwise, in general it is most sandy, and unremarkable diving. The Oriskany is far off shore so your want good weather otherwise it is a looooong boat ride.

I have enjoyed 2 trips with Niuhi Diving the last 2 Februarys. They cater to what you want. No head on board. Capt. Andy Ross-- good guy, as are the DMs. I also found LDS "Dive Pros" (West area of town) to be excellent.

A group of us dove there beginning of August. If by yourself or buddy you should be fine. What we found out with large group(8 of us) is that most charters only hold 6 passengers. We did find charter, H2O Below, that could accommodate us. I was very impressed with H2O. They issued SMB to everyone and was also used as another way for accountability. IIRC they do Oriskany dive in morning. I didn't dive the Oriskany but we dove Russian Freighter and the YDT-14. Though I found out most places down there you have to rent tanks extra if you don't bring your own. H2O uses MBT Divers for tank rental. IIRC the tank rental is < $10 per tank. You can also do full rental gear (wetsuit, BCD, regs) from MBT for $40 but that doesn't include computer. Something else I found out most places down there don't rent computers because they don't want to be held liable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom