Seahorses in Hawaii! New respect for Hawaii diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sjukich

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I took my AOW this week on West Maui and saw some amazing things. I've dove various sites on Maui over the past couple of years on vacations and have usually had a good time but I always end up comparing it to my diving in Fiji, Belize and various Caribbean spots. The 5 dives I did this trip totally caught me off guard, it was amazing. Hawaii has always been my "Happy place" because of all of the beauty topside. I now think of this as a great dive destination. Of course it doesn't have the soft coral or shark dives of Fiji or the offshore atolls of Belize but it's a short 5 hours to see some great things. We were able to see small schools of spotted eagle rays, various shrimp, sponge crabs, 20+ morays, black tips, 20+ very friendly turtles, anemone crabs, nudis, and a 6" seahorse! I assume seahorses are rare here and it's probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen under water. Just had to share how great it was!

Wow, you're definitely one of the lucky ones to see a Seahorse while diving in Maui!! Congrats!! I have to agree that seeing a seahorse was one of two coolest things we've seen underwater in Maui...the other was a 40' Humpback Whale! :)

Welcome to the club of those of us who really understand what great diving Hawaii has to offer.

I've dived Maui at least a couple of times a year for the last nine years, and I have seen ONE seahorse. You were very lucky!

Sea Horses are very cool - In August of this year we saw 6 of them brown in color about 4 to 6 inches in length in New Jersey... Tropicals get caught up in the gulf stream and are sent all the way up here - we were lucky enough to see them in a back bay of an inlet. Really cool to watch and very peaceful. I waved my hand at one and the flow of the water just made it do a 90 degree angle in the water and very slowly came back to an upright position.
Glad you saw them - very fun when you see new sights and experience new critters.

That is very cool. I have heard where they are, its just hard for us to get to West Maui too often. We have not seen any yet and my wife really wants to see one. We even went to where the Ocean Center lets them go after raising them. No luck yet. It reminds me of when we took three divers that only had 6 dives, scooter diving, and we were circled by 13 dolphins. They just thought that was normal. LOL. Its awesome to see rare marine life.

Sounds like you had a great time and very nice on your spotting of the seahorse! I didn't even know that they were there.

I have only dived in Hawaii 2 times. Both times off of Oahu. Once from a charter off of Waikiki, and once off of Haleiwa. No seahorses there that I saw, but lots of all the other cool stuff.

Thank you for the post. Along with all of the others, it gives me another reason to get to Maui.

I saw a tiny pelagic seahorse off of Kona on a Black Water dive this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom