Preparing for sidemount -- what new regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreifish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I currently dive exclusively single tank backmount and own an apecks xtx200 regulator set with the xtx40 octo.

I'm planning an extended break from work over the next few months during which I'll be diving in SE Asia. One thing I'd like to do while out there is learn to dive sidemount (for open water redundancy initially -- I'm a photographer -- but eventually also for cave diving, potentially).

Because I'll be travelling and regulators are much more expensive to purchase in SE Asia than locally, I'd like to pick up a second regulator and the necessary hoses to be able to rig up a sidemount kit for the course and afterwards. What I need is some advice:

1. Should I pick up another XTX200? Or would an XTX50 (or other turret first stage design) be a better choice for hose routing? I will primarily be doing wetsuit diving, but may branch out into some drysuit diving in the future.

2. What's a good hose routing setup for sidemount if doing a lot of solo dives for photography? I'm thinking a 7" hose may not make a lot of sense in these circumstances since I wouldn't be sharing air with anyone.

(in terms of sidemount harness/wing setup, I haven't selected one yet, but am looking at the Razor, Hollis 50 and xdeep as options)

Last edited:
It's not strictly necessary, but 5-port turret stages have some advantages.
4-port turret stages are much less useful and offer almost no advantage over the non-turreted ones.

You could buy a solitary 5-port DST and use it with the XTX40.
Or a complete XTX50 set.

Short hoses are not always comfortable, especially using the XTX200 first stage (routing down and up on the tank is natural with those and a long-hose fits most people if used from the right tank.).

Thanks for the advice, Razorista.

If I use the xtx200 on the right tank with the 7" hose routed down and up on the tank, what length of hose should I be looking at for the left tank with the DST/xtx50 setup? I imagine the advantage with the DST would be that I could route the regulator hose directly from the 5th central port?

The setup would likely only involve one inflator hose for the wing.

Thanks for the advice, Razorista.
Welcome

with the DST would be that I could route the regulator hose directly from the 5th central port?
Normally, in a wetsuit config, you would have the DST on the left side with a short-hose (as short as possible) and a 90 degree elbow on the second stage to keep it even shorter. It is connected to one of the normal turret ports and routed down when not in use and up when breathed.
The 5th port is used for a very short inflation hose (25cm or less).

Sadly that is the only really effective way of using the DST or other turreted first stages, one mobile regulator hose and one fixed inflation hose. It is much less useful in a single tank config, for example, as the second regulator hose on the turret becomes a nuisance fast.

The XTX200 would be used on the right tank lying on its side (half the ports up, half down, HP port oriented to the outside) with a long-hose connected to the bottom ports and routed down the tank and up again to cross the chest and going around the neck from the left side like the other one below it.

This suits most Razor-style systems like the ones you mentioned.

You could also use a short-hose only config with one second stage modified to have the hose on the right side (would not fit the XTX200 first stage that well, though).
Very short hoses could be used then and avoid some tangling, however I do not like a config like this myself. Even when going solo I prefer to have the option of using the longhose on chance meetings with low on air divers.
Because the hoses are bundled to the tanks they mostly stay out of the way but can be extended at will (I went back to a 'double long-hose, double DST' config recently again and prefer it).

Last edited:
Apeks are awesom regs, the DST is great for sidemount, as for the 2nd stage, whichever from the XTX range you fancy, i have the older model 50's and they're brill :)

Welcome

se a short-hose only config with one second stage modified to have the hose on the right side (would not fit the XTX200 first stage that well, though).
Very short hoses could be used then and avoid some tangling, however I do not like a config like this myself. Even when going solo I prefer to have the option of using the longhose on chance meetings with low on air divers.

How short is very short in this setup? I'm 5'8", for what it's worth.

Because the hoses are bundled to the tanks they mostly stay out of the way but can be extended at will (I went back to a 'double long-hose, double DST' config recently again and prefer it).

So does it make sense to have both regs on 7" hoses routed down the tank and then back up? If you do it that way, do you use 90degree elbows, or route one of the hoses around your neck?

I think turret and end/5th port is optimal for both regulators. It gives options for any future progression you might make (drysuits, redundancy for tech etc).

I use SP Mk25s, but the DST is an equally good choice. Also look into HOG regs, if budget is an issue.

I put a 32" hose on the left (short). The slack is taken up by routing slightly backwards, so it sits under my armpit. Hard to describe... I need to take a photo to illustrate. This gives me lots of options, including donation of the short hose in extemis (on a pull-out bungee necklace).

attachment.php

How short is very short in this setup? I'm 5'8", for what it's worth.
That's hard to say, it is a very individual choice.

The hose coming with the Apex regulators is a good approximation to try first.
For myself that one is about 10cm to long (or to short by the same amount to use it the way DevonDiver describes) so it is often bend sharply at the fittings and breaks there very fast.

If you cannot find one that fits using a long-hose (not the longest one - 150cm is enough) is an option.
It can be routed around the neck much tighter and the length really used is adjustable.
That way you can estimate the hose-length you really need without having to experiment to much first.
Just use it and mark off the length you need during the dive where the hose (coming back up after routing down the tank) touches the first-stage a few times with your wetnotes pencil.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2014 at 08:46 AM ----------

I think turret and end/5th port is optimal for both regulators.
I share that opinion.

I am also of the opinion that the choice of regulator matters about as much as it did in backmount: your choice according to your taste, they all work (I used Mares regulators for hundreds of sidemount dives myself and still own them with intent to use occasionally (haven't yet though)).

On the other hand the hose routing with the 5th-ports like that is very elegant and close to optimal regarding loops and bends in the hoses. Especially the short inflation hoses are a huge advantage.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2014 at 09:23 AM ----------

If you do it that way, do you use 90degree elbows, or route one of the hoses around your neck?
I did not understand that part.
But to describe I always use a 90 degree elbow on the hose running to the left tank.
Main advantage for me is that the hoses are separated that way very effectively and don't entangle.
More or less the right side is still the 'long-hose-tank' in that thinking.

Another more personal advantage for me is:
I like to have the second stages different in as many ways as possible for identification: different mouthpiece, different color, different hose attachment, one necklaced, one clipped off, etc...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom