Scuba Chef's Corner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is the forum to ask the pros your cooking questions.
Feel free to also start any of your own threads with your own recipes and hints too.

Bona appetite!

What is anybodies take on Olive Oil as apposed to other oils for cooking and or even to add flavor.

I love olive oil and use it as much as possible. I've also switched to canola oil several years ago, instead of vegetable oil.

Olive oil is probably the healthiest oil being a monosaturate. Plus, get the right olive oil and the taste is to die for! Of course, that taste is much to much for baking or certain ethnic cooking. In those situations I also use canola oil.

Olive oil my favorite food! Here's the deal: As mentioned by cmt489, it is a monosaturated fat which means it actually lowers your bad cholesterol. There are basically three grades: Pure(lowest grade) Virgin(middle grade) and Extra Virgin(best grade)

Great night before dive meal: Saute fresh chopped garlic in olive oil then toss in cooked pasta, black olives, parmasan chesse and a little salt to taste.

rapidiver:
a little salt to taste.

And of course, that salt would be Maldon now wouldn't it??? :D :D

No Malden, just Morton:14:
IodizedPlain_Salt.jpg

CDFDiveMaster:
What is anybodies take on Olive Oil as apposed to other oils for cooking and or even to add flavor.

Olive oil is probably the best as for health wise for your heart. But as with all things don't go over board because then you are just adding extra calories that will turn into fat. It is high in fat but as stated about it is good fat, monosaturated and polysaturated.

Another quick dish...

spaghetti-- saute some olive oil with garlic and a litte sea salt and italian seasoning. Add crushed red pepper to taste. Perferably the grinder one found in the spices section. Mix the spaghetti in, serve with parm cheese if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom