Weighting fresh/salt water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Help

I have moved inland, so my diving will mainly be fresh water, such as The Great Lakes.

I was reasonably confident with my weighting when it came to salt water.

For the same gear/suit set up, how much should I take off due to the water?

Simple starting point...reduce weight by 2.5% of total weight of you and all your gear. For example, if you and your gear weigh 200lbs, reduce weight by about 5lbs when moving to freshwater.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We are located in the Pacific Northwest, and mix lake, stream, and salt water diving. While the books indicate you can drop some weight, we keep the same weight in salt and fresh water without any problem. We are dry suit divers.

Just returned from taking a group to the northern part of Vancouver Island where we did a mix of fresh/salt water dives. Everyone wore dry suits, and people's weight ranged from 210 to 110, and BCD's included wings, Zeagle, ScubaPro. Everyone kept weight the same and did fine.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take off 5-6 pounds.

Assuming you are using the same gear and exposure protection start with the same weight for your first dive and do a weight check at the beginning (allowing for the weight of gas you are carrying) AND the end of your dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom